View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Has your dog ever taken a disliking to a stranger?

Today on our walk we had seen quite a few people like normal, and Alfie just ignores people normally, but this one guy today on the other side of the road, Alfie was trying to watch him at all times.. the guy was just walking, no dog, not carrying anything etc etc, and Alfie was determined to watch him for as long as he could....

He didn't try and pull towards him, just carried on walking well next to me, but his ears were up and he was sort of trotting instead of walking, and he did not want to look away from this guy...

You dog ever decided someone needs to be watched more closely? Lol.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Yup my Kiara has

All 3 of my dogs are used to strangers coming in and out of the house social workers, police, new kids, various agencies which work the kids I have etc and all 3 are fine with it

Once a couple of years ago one of my foster kids (teenage girl) brought her boyfriend back to mine and Kiara pinned him up against the wall she didn't bite him just scared him some and stuck her nose right into his googlies! and made that throaty growly noise - no teeth bared or anything I had to drag her away - needless to say he made a a hasty exit!!

3 weeks later this guy stole my car and he's currently in prison for assault and an armed robbery

Kiara's never shown any kind of protective / assertiveness in her life before or after!!! She's really quite timid which made it all the more shocking.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Honey still hates the bus driver who looked over the fence at her with a hat on before she was a year old, she's six in December, she holds her grudges for a long time , more then likely the problem as she couldn't face and he was leaning over, but she's never forgotten him, although he's done nowt wrong, she also now don't like a lot of strange men, but thats different to her first hate, Diesel's never met someone he don't like .
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Syd my male Dobermann is very protective of me and a couple of times out on walks he has been very on his toes and put himself between me and strange blokes, as the bloke tried to move around us Syd just adjusted his position so he was always in between us. He never growled or barked just maintained his position and remained vigilant.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:41 PM
We have a village drunk who's known M'boi and Chloe since they were puppies. If he's sober when he stops at our front gate both girls will go and greet him.

When he's had a few too many however they won't go anywhere near him but stand outside the front door barking as though they're telling him off!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Yup. Rupert actually decided he really didn't like the look of an elderly man with a beard, hat and walking stick that we had to pass one day. He crawled past on his belly as close to the fence and as far from this elderly Rupert eating monster as he could possibly get

Shadow just disliked pretty much everyone. However he took a liking to a local heroin addict for some reason.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure why Alfie was staring at that man, but I got the feeling he wasn't happy about something.. who knows!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Oh yes, but he's a Tibetan Mastiff and they have been bred for several thousand years to keep an eye out for suspicious looking strangers. He doesn't take exception to people very often and is actually a very sociable and affable dog to most strangers. But I would trust his intuition to the point I'd put money on him being right when he doesn't like someone.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Millie had an awfull habbit of stopping whenever their was a stranger walking past and would sit and refuse to go anywhere till they had passed the amount of times ive had to stand around look like lemmon because Millie wouldnt budge -.-

She has done this behaviour for a good while now Im not sure if its because my brother walked her all week for me and she is now a little more trusting of people.

Millie is jut very nosey she likes to know what everyone is up to at home or on a walk sometimes she is too inquisitive for her own good.
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Another Tibetan owner here and he does not like strangers. He is usually fine in the street but becomes very alert if anyone comes up behind me in the forest.

I find it funny when he walks as tall as he can and on his toes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >