Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

'Eating Puppy No Worse than Pork...'

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Went to check my emails and this caught my eye. Wondered what everyone else thought.

TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has said that there's no difference between eating pork and eating puppies.

The star of the River Cottage series thinks that the only thing stopping us doing so is our attachment to dogs as pets.

Speaking to the Radio Times, he said: “In principle, but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy farm.

“You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs.

“Both animals could be used the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat and dogs better pets, but it's not a foregone conclusion.”

Article Here
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:33 AM
That's a worrying statement makes you wonder if has actually tried it but I don't like this guy I think he is an ass.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
That's a worrying statement makes you wonder if has actually tried it but I don't like this guy I think he is an ass.
no...as if u read the article he says he would only do it if he was on the brink of starvation.

...i guess he trying to say pigs are clever social creatures the same as dogs?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I can see where he is coming from though, not that I am for organic puppy on sale in shops.

I don't mind Hugh F-W, watch most of his programmes and have a couple of his books!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no...as if u read the article he says he would only do it if he was on the brink of starvation.

...i guess he trying to say pigs are clever social creatures the same as dogs?
still though the way he works makes you wonder still
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
if you eat meat, you have a reponsibility to make sure that the animals you use for meat have a good standard of life while alive and are slaughtered humanley.

in that case, does it make a difference what animal you eat?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Actually, I might have to say I agree, I have attachment to dogs, so wouldn't choose to eat them, but do think that where the meat comes from is the most important thing, that they have had the best life they can before dying as humanly as possible, and although pigs are intelligant, I do think that all animals deserve respect, but is it cultural why we don't eat dogs, but we eat cows, and I'm sure that Hindus would never consider doing that, so why do we? So I do think that eating different animals isn't wrong, but letting that animal suffer in life or death is.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Personally I think Hugh F-W has done a lot for animal welfare and I respect him for that.

Although I don't eat meat, poultry or fish myself, I do buy it for Max. I like to know that whatever animal he eats has lived a good standard of life and has had a quick and humane death.

A lot of pork we eat in this country is intensively reared and leads a very miserable existence and yet many people are still happy to eat it. A puppy raised on a high-welfare organic farm would have a much higher quality of life than the intensively reared pig and yet I suspect many people would be horrified by the idea of eating 'man's best friend' despite the puppy having a much higher standard of life than an intensively farmed animal that had endured an extremely miserable existence.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 12:01 PM
I think he has a good point - he's not saying "let's breed dogs for meat!" but asking why people deem that as horrific but will eat pork when pigs are intelligent, sociable animals that form bonds with humans (and are kept as pets)
Don't think I could eat dog/cat, which makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but can see his point.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I see his point to be honest. Why is eating dog frowned upon while eating cows or sheep or pigs not? I don't see it as a worrying statement.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »