Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2011, 03:14 PM

A very painful paw

Pereg was outside this morning and came in on three legs, holding her right front one up high. She flonked down and kept licking it, first the top then she turned her paw to the side and licked first one side then the other, then started underneath the paw.

She came to me and let me have a look, but it was obviously painful when I touched it, but I could not see anything wrong - nothing stuck between her toes/pads, but it was definitely bothering her.

Then she just flonked down again, on her left side, and the paw was twitching as if she could not keep it still - she was holding the leg up and every time she put it down and it touched the floor she quickly raised it again.

I was getting a bit worried as she would not get up, not even when I offered her a "sweetie" [one of the tiny treats she rarely gets now] so I got a small bowl of warm salt water and sort of mopped her paw with a piece of cotton wool that I soaked in the water, and she then let me put her paw in it for a few minutes.

She is still limping a bit but is putting the foot down now so I am hoping it is nothing serious, but everything is a bit of a worry with Pereg, especially as nothing normally bothers her, so the fact that this did, and is still not 100% better is a bit of a concern.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
could she of been stung?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
could she of been stung?
I could not see anything that looked like a sting, even with a large magnifying glass, and nothing looked out of the ordinary. It is just not like Pereg to make a fuss about anything and that worried me more than anything.

She has come in hopping before, but then she has come straight up to me for me to have a look, and it is usually something stuck between her toes/pads, and once I have fished it out everything is fine, so for her to keep licking her paw and now wanting to even rest it on the floor when she was laying down, was a bit of a concern.

I probably worry a bit too much about her at times.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh dear, poor Pereg Have you actually gone ALL the way around that foot and leg? I say this because the other week, Zena yelped in pain and held her back leg up on a walk, and because I couldn't actually see anything, I started rubbing her leg, thinking she'd pulled something. I looked, and I looked, no blood, nothing! It wasn't until I got home, still couldn't find anything wrong with the leg, and then I stood over her with my legs either side of her, and picked it up, and it was only then that I could see what she had done because from any other angle I just wouldn't have seen it! She had taken a great big chunk out of her leg about the same spot as the front carpal pad would be

Get round the back of that foot Malka and see if you're missing something, just a thought! Anyway, I hope she's better on it now.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Pereg has finally stopped limping and even chased out after a cat that dared cross the yard!

I have had another good look and feel all round her leg and foot and she did not as much as try to pull away or make a sound - nothing. No lumps, bumps, scrapes, everything that should move did, and everything that should not move did not, and she stopped licking it.

So I have no idea what it was and hopefully whatever it was will not re-occur.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Well thank goodness that it all came to nothing Perhaps she momentarily wrenched her foot or stood on a sharp stone or something?

If Jimmi appears on three legs then unfortunately I know EXACTLY what it will be Sshhhhhh, abscess-free for some weeks now
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I am not sure if she would have been licking it so diligently had she wrenched it - it was definitely her toes, both on top, in between, and underneath. It was definitely hurting her quite a lot, but thankfully she seems back to normal now - having a wander around outside at the moment.

I just worry about my girl but I suppose it is understandable.