View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Nervous for tomorrow, first day picking up on the grouse!

I've never been out on the grouse at all before!! OH says I should take all 7 dogs out with me, I said 4 or 5 for my first time out! I've worked 3 of them on pheasant and partridge (Misty, Blade & Gracie) and have accompanied my friend out on shoot days with Horace, Casper and Lucy!

I don't why I'm so worried, I know the dogs will work for me, but I guess I'm nervous of messing up, the dogs misbehaving, especially as OH has told the head keeper the dogs will probably work better for me than they do him because I spend more time with them!!

Wish me luck! Will let you know how I get in tomorrow evening and will try and take some piccies of the dogs if I get the chance!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I've never been out on the grouse at all before!! OH says I should take all 7 dogs out with me, I said 4 or 5 for my first time out! I've worked 3 of them on pheasant and partridge (Misty, Blade & Gracie) and have accompanied my friend out on shoot days with Horace, Casper and Lucy!

I don't why I'm so worried, I know the dogs will work for me, but I guess I'm nervous of messing up, the dogs misbehaving, especially as OH has told the head keeper the dogs will probably work better for me than they do him because I spend more time with them!!

Wish me luck! Will let you know how I get in tomorrow evening and will try and take some piccies of the dogs if I get the chance!
What is the most favoured dog for a grouse shoot now? Up where I am from in Perthshire it is mostly black labs. I know a guy who used to use spaniels and then went to labs. I do not know why, maybe it was for the image! Have you ever seen a Gordon, or any Setters for that matter working?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
What is the most favoured dog for a grouse shoot now? Up where I am from in Perthshire it is mostly black labs. I know a guy who used to use spaniels and then went to labs. I do not know why, maybe it was for the image! Have you ever seen a Gordon, or any Setters for that matter working?
I couldn't tell you, never been on the grouse! We've got a mix of labs and spaniels and I know the headkeepers wife has mostly labs, a pointer cross and a cocker! I'll be able to tell you what was out today when I get in tonight!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:28 AM
oh im sure you will be fine but good luck anyway look forward to hearing off you later.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I am sure the dogs will do well for you I hope you are enjoying your day. It is blazing hot sunshine up here today, so hope you are having the same great weather (although could be a bit too hot for the dogs!).

I live on a shooting estate on a grouse moor BangKaew in the Scottish Borders and the favoured dogs (of the grouse keepers anyway) here seems to range from labs and working cockers, to the odd GWP - but not many springers (although the pheasant keeper has those).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Some great footage of Gordons working on a grouse moor on Countryfile last night.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:36 PM
So far so good!! Dogs are being really good and I'm having a good day! They've all picked a couple each!!

Weather is pants!! Rain, wind and cold! Ideal for the dogs, although they are wet, they aren't too hot and I can put them in the shed with the heater on when we get in!

The day has been cut short, with the last drive not being done so we've just started the new last drive! I have better phone signal out here in the middle of no where, than I do at my house!!

I'm currently snuggled up in the heather with the dogs, have taken a few pics of them, so will try and upload them tonight!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Some great footage of Gordons working on a grouse moor on Countryfile last night.
Saw them, they looked fablous, such a pleasure to see them doing what they are bred for, mind the ladies looke to be more in a fashion parade than on a grouse shoot. apart from Clare Balding that is
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You beat me to it, i watched it too bet that hunting schmutter isn't cheap though !

Misty do you eat the grouse ?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds like it's going well. I was going to say take lots of dogs lol. OH was moaning that the pickers up here didn't have enough dogs with them so it took them twice as long to do it and he was waiting to take blood samples and guts.

Are they taking guts and blood samples there?

Look forward to the photos.

Helen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >