Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 04:22 PM

No-one can say my job is dull.

So today I'm in ICT which is normally a quiet class and my pupil normally manages to just carry on.

She's high functioning autistic, hardly needs any support really just on occasion she likes having the backup there if there's something she can't quite cope with. The rest of the time she detests having the support and hates it if you try to help unless she asks, sometimes she can be a bit aggressive if you try to assist her so generally I wander round and help the other kids in the computing class (well, I say help, I mean look at the screen blankly and guess - it's programming after all). She normally manages and just gets on quietly.

Today, sheesh! I noticed that about 5 mins into the class she was packing her stuff up. Asked her what was going on, she wouldn't tell me, and just walked out of the class, I followed (feeling like a ruddy sheepdog), and she walks into another class (despite me trying desperately to calm her down) and starts getting in the face of another pupil and yelling at him...at that point I had no idea what was going on but managed to get her out of the class...well she took off like a bat out of the hot place and since she's taller and faster than me I had to give up and go down to the support base for assistance.

After that I spent two hours walking the length and breadth of the school trying to find her, and let me tell ya, this school is mahoosive! I don't know how many times I got turned around going in one stairset and coming out somewhere else! Found her in the end in a small tutorial room on the top floor, she was still angry and wanted to be left but at least I knew where she was now.

She was fine in the next class we were in together and was chatting to me happily, and even told me what had set her off.

Turned out the lad had threatened her or something...I only got her side of the story, so not sure how much of it is down to her being aggressive. I said to her that if she has this issue again or anything else to talk to me, don't just lose the rag and go off, I can try to help.

It's been explained to her (again) by our support principal teacher that if she is angry she doesn't walk out of a class, she asks myself or someone else if she can go somewhere to chill out. She certainly doesn't disappear in the school causing myself and 4 other members of staff to spend two hours hunting her down!

I can never ever say my job is boring, if anything it makes life very interesting and no two days are ever the same.

I love my job