Our sister sites
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Dog Psychology Course?

http://www.caninebehaviour.co.uk/ind...d=64&Itemid=74

I'm thinking of doing this!
Not for a job - just for interest really.

What do you think?

Em
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Cannot comment on this course as I do not know the individual, she is not affiliated it appears to any professional body and the course is not externally accredited..........
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 05:46 PM
If you google the name of the "public face" person running it (they don't seem to tell you who the other three people involved are, which doesn't help in evaluating the standard involved) there is no mention of her having any professional affiliation herself to an animal behaviour organisation and her website describes her as :

"A graduate member of the British Psychological Society and international affiliate member of the American Psychological Association"

Which strongly suggested human psychology as her basis and background. I have no idea what the requirements for these organisations are. I see no other mention as to specific qualifications of those running this course.

In a thread elsewhere discussing this course the general consensus of opinion seemed to be that the information provided was not at all in depth and that no one had heard of the person involved.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 07:07 PM
I fancied this course too. This is the lady I took Bailey to last friday. They have their own list of psychologists, it seems that once the course is completed you go on their list.

All I can say is she seemed very knowledegable and some of the things she told me to do with Bailey seem to be working. I don't think they're accredited onto APBC or similar lists.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I fancied this course too. This is the lady I took Bailey to last friday. They have their own list of psychologists, it seems that once the course is completed you go on their list.

All I can say is she seemed very knowledegable and some of the things she told me to do with Bailey seem to be working. I don't think they're accredited onto APBC or similar lists.
She mentions a dog called Bailey on her blog and I wondered if it was the same dog.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 07:18 PM
That's interesting. I bought a handbook for this course on Ebay, out of curiosity. I think the course notes I have are a few years old but I was a little put off by the "pack leader" approach.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
She mentions a dog called Bailey on her blog and I wondered if it was the same dog.
Yup - That's my boy

Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
That's interesting. I bought a handbook for this course on Ebay, out of curiosity. I think the course notes I have are a few years old but I was a little put off by the "pack leader" approach.
When she was telling me I need to be firmer with Bailey but not by being dominant, by him working for me because he wants to not because he's forced to. She only mentioned the 'pack leader' stuff by saying that stuff people say about not going through a door before your dogs is now an old way of thinking and rewarding good behaviour has been found to have much better results, smacking or hitting your dog doesn't do any good in the long run and only results in your dog being scared of you which is counter productive.

I've got the ame and number of someone who's done the course and she lives locally so I'm call her tomorrow for her thoughts on it!!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:48 AM
I thought I'd heard of this but could not recall where. I realise it was one of the courses I looked at from years back, when I was first interested in learning about dog behaviour.

IIRC, I was sent the course content and ended up sending it back, because I felt it was nothing like in depth enough.

I ended up doing other courses with Sarah Whitehead and also the Animal Care College.

It's possible the content etc is much better now, but I'd suggest going more for something like COAPE, Think dog! or similar.

JMO though.

ETA: if it's purely for your own interest and the price reflects the contents, it might be ok ...

Wys
x
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Ooh now I'm all confused??!!

I'm not really all that convinced the the pack leader rubbish (I guess by me calling it that illustrates what I think!)

Did you get anywhere with your friend please Baileysblind?

I might have a look at some of those thanks Wysiwyg...

Em
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Ooh now I'm all confused??!!

I'm not really all that convinced the the pack leader rubbish (I guess by me calling it that illustrates what I think!)

Did you get anywhere with your friend please Baileysblind?

I might have a look at some of those thanks Wysiwyg...

Em
No probs, good luck with your decision!

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >