Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Apple iPad

Has anyone got an Apple iPad, would you recommend one?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Its a big iphone 4 ...
It is faster ,but you got a 4 right?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Its a big iphone 4 ...
It is faster ,but you got a 4 right?
Yes - completely addicted to the iPhone

Has the iPad got a phone?

Im unsure what to do, try & invest in a lightweight laptop or the iPad. We have Acer laptop - very good in terms of laptops but its heavy & doesnt do my arthritic knee much good.

Any ideas/recommendations?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2011, 05:17 AM
We have one here. Its only a wifi one and we got it reconditioned from Apple.

It won't replace a laptop but its ideal for general web browsing and its great not having to wait for it loading up just to check something online as its always on like the iphone. I think it gets used more than the pc with the kids
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-08-2011, 07:02 AM
I don't have an iPad or any tablet and personally, wouldn't want one. What I do have is a tablet with a non-touch screen but with a small keyboard and touch pad attached on a hinged arrangement so the screen folds down to form a clam shell lid. These are commonly known as netbooks. LOL! They're a lot cheaper than the equivalent tablets... It works extremely well as a very portable computing solution.

Seriously, as per my recent thread about my new netbook I can't recommend them enough. Mine is great! With a couple of gotchas... I got one of the newer dual core ones so I've got a fair bit of computing power. Also, I ditched the not-fit-for-purpose* Windows 7 Starter and replaced it with my favourite version of Linux. If you 'upgrade' to a non crippled version of Windows then I reckon you're going to almost double your spend. Especially when you factor in all the additional software you'd probably buy like office suite etc. With all popular Linux distros everything you need is either installed with the OS or is available through the distro's repositories for free.

So, a netbook with Linux (As they were intended!) is an iPad beater IMHO. In terms of value and the ability to actually do some work with a keyboard as opposed to just browsing with a touch screen.

*Seriously! Win 7 starter is artificially limited in terms of the amount of memory it can use and purely because it's a 32 bit operating system which does not use all the power of a dual core 64 bit processor. I've verified this latter fact with some pretty knowledgeable IT professionals.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Yes they have their advantages, i got one in Tescos last year & i too would recommend them, however having problems in sense that im having diffs seeing the screen. Im not a year from an eye test so dont feel like another one to use the iPhone, as now, i have to take my glasses off. Then i squint a lot (one eye closed) gosh i sound a wreck i really should have that eye test shouldn't i - lol.

Its weird. Laptop with bigger screen is ok however the weight starts my knee off

Im having other problems which im wondering are related to the (excessive use & bad posture whilst using it ) of the iPhone hence wondering about a tablet - course i could go & just "look". The iPhone is just so darn handy
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't be without mine.

Unlike a laptop it boots up instantly.
You can use it to play a slideshow of your pictures.
Battery life is amazing ( I charge mine twice a week )
Great for browsing forums but has a few issues when you reply to long threads ( It won't let you scroll down )

Downside, you can't play Adobe flash but you can do you tube.
Wifi drops out when you close it down and you need to reboot it ( Takes just 10 seconds )
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2011, 12:13 PM
It's one of those things I want, but I don't think there's anything it can do that I don't already get covered with my combination of laptop, PC, netbook and blackberry (and I LOVE my blackberry). Biggest thing putting me off one (apart from being skint at the moment) - lack of flash. Thinking about it rationally - lots of what I use my netbook for is taking around tutoring and into school with flash programmes I've downloaded off the internet for maths games and the like - which I just load up through my web browser and use when I need... because of the lack of flash, an iPad would just be another expensive but sexy gadget for me at the moment really... not that I'd turn one down if one fell my way!

I love my iPod and things - but I'm not an indiscriminate Apple fanboy anyway - I swear regularly at iTunes since it's so clunky to use.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Android tablets will play flash won't they? I'm pretty sure the HP WebOS ones do.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah - it's the biggest weakness in the iPad that it's the one that doesn't.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >