View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RedStar
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:10 PM

How can I help my dog recover after a Stroke?

Sadly today, my dog Pongo has had a stroke. We have taken him to the vets and he was given some medication for the next week. He can still walk, but is unsteady on his feet. How can I help him be more comfortable, and help him to recover?

Thank you for any advice you can offer
Sophie
x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Is it a stroke or a vestibular episode?

My lad has had two bouts of vestibular disease. All that you can really do is watch them and help them out when needed. My lad suffered badly for about a week after the first episode and a couple of days after the second. He needed help in getting around for a while as he was very disorientated and also had to be hand fed and water bowl brought to him as he couldn't coordinate well enough to use his bowls.

He couldn't get out for a couple of days after the first episode which really distressed him as he is a very clean dog. He didn't toilet for 36 hours which frightened the life out of me, but eventually he did stumble his way to the back door but had to use the floor as he couldn't negotiate the door and step.

All in all a horrible time which has left him with a head tilt but he has adjusted to that and has managed pretty well.

Give your lad time, space and help when needed. It really is a 'play it by ear' situation where you just seem to 'know' when to step in and when to back off.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear about Pongo's stroke, Brierley has given good advice, which covers most of what you can do.

Hope he's feeling better soon, if it's a stroke he is likely to be feeling dizzy and confused. He may also feel queasy and may have a headache.

They usually get better with time, although you can find the head tilt returns when they are tired.

If he has problems getting in and out to toilet it or navigating steps it can help to support and steady him by putting a large towel, folded lengthways, as a sling, to support his hind end, so you pass it under him, under his tummy and in front of his hind legs and hold both ends of it together, above his back, over his hips (hope that makes sense?).
RedStar
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Thank you both for your advice
I will do my best, but its so horrible to see him so unwell. I am going to sleep in the living room to keep an eye on him tonight.
As far as I am aware, Pongo has had a stroke, but from what the vet said, it seems to be a mild one.

Thank you again xxxx
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Poor boy. Hope he's ok.

My old pointer had a couple of mild strokes and was pts for a purely different reason. She recovered well after both of them and did fine on the tablets she was prescribed for life. My sisters old springer had one and did end up with a head tilt but otherwise fine.

How is he this morning?

Helen
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Strictly speaking, dogs cannot have "strokes". It is most likely that your dog has suffered from either peripheral vestibular disease or central vestibular disease.

The diagnostic symptoms will include:

Head tilt
Eyes darting side to side (nystagmus)
Strabismus
Vertigo
Falling to one side
Rolling
Staggering Gait
Nausea/Vomiting
Loss of Appetite
Salivation
Pain Chewing or Yawning

In our case with a collie we had, it was caused by an abcess on a broken tooth right at the back of his mouth. Poor dog must have been in agony. In this case, he had peripheral vestibular disease caused by the infection spreading into the ear - central vestibular disease would be where there are problems located in the brain.