Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greg1993
New Member!
Male 

07-08-2011, 06:01 PM

How often can you use flea meds?

I know there are already a lot of flea related questions on here but could not find my specific question.

How often can you use flea meds?

My dog has never had fleas until recently, she is 6 years old. Frontline has always worked but they were out so I went with hartz. After 2 months of using hartz the fleas are getting worse. I picked up some flea shampoo today but decided against using it since it warns of exposure to skin and eyes. I just gave her a bath with her normal oatmeal shampoo and that seemed to get rid of most of the fleas, but when can I apply frontline? I applied the hartz last week.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I think the spot on treatment is usually once a month.

Garlic is a great natural flea repellant..... give some in the dogs food.

You can buy shampoos that you can use as often as needed.

A fleacomb can be used as often as needed.

I have even seen a pet tag that claims to repell fleas but I am sceptacal!

Dont forget to 'clean' your house of fleas too.... a house spray or fogger can kill any living in the carpet or furnature, and washing the dogs bedding and toys on 60 kills any therre too.
Greg1993
New Member!
Male 

07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Dont forget to 'clean' your house of fleas too.... a house spray or fogger can kill any living in the carpet or furnature, and washing the dogs bedding and toys on 60 kills any therre too.
on 60? I'm not sure what you mean..every 60 days? I'm washing her bedding right now and I'm going to the store to pick up some spray for the house. Thanks for advice.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Greg1993 View Post
on 60? I'm not sure what you mean..every 60 days? I'm washing her bedding right now and I'm going to the store to pick up some spray for the house. Thanks for advice.
A 60 degree wash.

If you've not been de-fleaing the house as well as the dog that will explain why the flea situation is getting worse We had to do our house several times when our dogs got them.
Greg1993
New Member!
Male 

07-08-2011, 06:22 PM
ahh 60 degrees...wouldn't hotter water be better? I'm washing her bedding now on hot.

she is mainly an indoor dog but i've never seen one flea on her or in the house until I used hartz.

*it was hartz for 60lbs and up and she is 100 lbs so maybe that was the problem
Greg1993
New Member!
Male 

08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
so it's definitely has to be 30 days between treatments? I really am not looking forward to 3 more weeks of fighting fleas when I know one treatment of frontline would fix the problem.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Greg1993 View Post
so it's definitely has to be 30 days between treatments? I really am not looking forward to 3 more weeks of fighting fleas when I know one treatment of frontline would fix the problem.
Frontline will only "fix" the problem once your home is free of fleas.

Two points to consider. Firstly it is immaterial whether your dog is mainly an indoor dog or not, as you [or anyone] can bring fleas in on your shoes, clothing etc.

Secondly you used a product for a smaller dog.

Regarding washing her bedding, 60° is sufficient. You do not need to boil them.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure your home, you, and your dog are free of fleas, and then make sure you have sufficient Frontline for at least three months and are the correct size/amount for a dog her size.

I do not know whether Frontline does pipettes up to the size of your dog, if not you need to use the number of pipettes as specified by Frontline. And for the foreseeable future treat her once a month.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-08-2011, 06:43 AM
BTW we're talking 60 degrees Celsius...not sure what that is in Fahrenheit.

I would suggest using one of those flea-repellent collars until you can use the frontline again...I don't think they are as effective, but at least it's something.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Do you have cats?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2011, 06:48 AM
60°C is 140°F
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >