Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Quick and claw split apart

Hello,

My lab mix Luna and I were just coming into our house from a trip to the park when she suddenly stumbled. I looked and on her back claw the quick had come out of the nail. the nail is now an empty shell and the quick is just sitting there. Both are still completely attached to her foot and there was no blood at all. They are just seperate, like she has a normal claw and a fleshy one.
This happened just over a week ago and at first I didn't think much of it, but now she is licking it and has opened a sore on the quick. It doesn't look infected and it is very clean, but it is obviously very uncomfortable for her and it is not healing. We really cannot afford to take her to the vet right now, so I really need help. I can push the quick back into the claw but it just keeps slipping out again as soon as I let go. I'm worried about infection because like I said before, we cannot afford the vet right now. Any home-care advice would really be appreciated. Thank you
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to say she needs to see a vet. My dog had a very similar injury and he needed the whole thing cutting back and cauterising and antibiotics. As it was he almost lost his toe through the injury.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
do you have a rspca or pdsa vet near you that you can go to, they see people in an emergency and its cheeper than a normal vet.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Hello there, and whilst I sympathise with your need to avoid vet costs if possible I am afraid that I agree with Sarah.

The thing is, if you delay taking Luna to the vet then the resulting costs could be far far worse. Good luck and I hope that she improves quickly (sorry no pun intended ) after the appropriate treatment
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2011, 07:03 PM
So it will get infected for sure if I don't take her to the vet? Is there any way that it will heal on its own? Anything I can do to help it heal?
I cannot afford to go to a vet right now; although I would like to, I really can't unless the vet would be willing to let us pay a fraction of the cost at a time over a few months. I doubt it.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I can't say it will get infected for sure but my vet told me my dog would be in pain with this type of injury. And despite us getting to the vets immediately and getting it sorted Ruperts still got infected and he came close to having his toe amputated.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
The only thing that I can suggest is frequent salt water baths (1 teaspoon salt to a pint of boiled water, cooled to warm).....get Lana to stand with the affected paw in the water for as long as possible, or at least 5 minutes. Do this four or five times a day, and no walking or energetic playing.

You may be lucky and get away with it, but seeing a vet would be good, really it would. I see that you live in Texas..........do they not have any animal charities out there that could possibly help you with this?
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I know the shell is still attached at the moment but has it come away something like this...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
The claw has to come off! Imagine if u ripped your nail below the quick and had to walk on it
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
The claw has to come off! Imagine if u ripped your nail below the quick and had to walk on it
This is what my vet told us. He was adamant that the nail be removed ASAP.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >