Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Changing food advice please

Ok at the moment my 10 month old bullmastif cross rotty is on wainwrights large breed dry food at £34 a 15kg sack but its expensive, so im changing him over to this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/supad...and-15kg-33112 as my mother inlaw feeds it her 2 huskie's reccomended by our vet. and at £15 a 15kg sack seems a better price. the only thing is i'd like to mix a bit of wet food into his kibbles, now at the moment he has pedigree chum, but it makes him have bad bad wind lol. so can anyone also reccomend a good wet food to mix with the supadog kibbles we'll be getting him please.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Personally I'd stick with the Wainwrights, it's a better quality food unless you go for the Supadog Sensitive.

I just switch my dog straight over when I have to change his food. You're supposed to do it gradually by mixing a little of the new food in with the old food and increasing how much new and decreasing the amount of the old you're giving. Mine just picks out the food he's used to and leaves the new stuff though.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Personally I'd stick with the Wainwrights, it's a better quality food unless you go for the Supadog Sensitive.

I just switch my dog straight over when I have to change his food. You're supposed to do it gradually by mixing a little of the new food in with the old food and increasing how much new and decreasing the amount of the old you're giving. Mine just picks out the food he's used to and leaves the new stuff though.
i know but its to expensive to start buying in monthly on top of the rest of the stuff we buy, as before the sack would last 2 months so wouldnt pinch the wallet as much. after his treats toys hides and other stuff weve no option with money getting a bit tighter. plus its not a food like bakers so still will be good for him, comes highly reccomended by our vet as well.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 05:51 PM
If you're looking for a good wet food to mix in, then the Wainwrights Wet Trays is great, and is what I feed Dexter. Once you open a tray, you'll need of course to put it in the fridge and I don't think you could leave it there for more than two days, so you'd have to work out if maybe the trays are too big just to use as a mixer.

There are also Wainwrights Wet Pouches that I think are smaller so that might be a better option for you.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 06:07 PM
If you're looking for a cheap food then Chappie might be the better option. A lot of people seem to recommend it.

ANY good quality food is going to be more expensive than the rubbish sold in supermarkets. Chappie do both wet and dry foods though.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Tbf with food its what suits the individuual,some of my dogs do rubbish on premium foods and vice versa.
And sometimes we have to make do with what we can til things improve.
Thing is to try it and look at ur dog and what comes out the other end.
As far as wet food goes my fav(or should that be the dogs lol) is Bozita...elk and reindeer goes down best here lol,also as said wainwrights and also forthglade...altho if ur pinching pennies why wet food at all if the dry is a complete food?
And defo attempt to introduce gradualy!!
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
If you're looking for a cheap food then Chappie might be the better option. A lot of people seem to recommend it.

ANY good quality food is going to be more expensive than the rubbish sold in supermarkets. Chappie do both wet and dry foods though.
yeah i seen a thread earlier about chappie, but i favour the Typical Analysis on the supadog than chappie though
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

18-07-2011, 07:49 PM
to be honest if you want a cheaper food the one that always seems to get good reviews is Skinners field & trial.

Just because a vet recommends a food does not mean it is any good.