Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 2 ESS,2 Dalmatians
12-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Wild Rabbit

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Banned / Account Closed

Dogs owned: GSD and GSDxRottie
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #2

Re: Wild Rabbit

Most people do - though it can be easier to gut them frozen (I get frozen rabbits from my supplier and semi-defrosted you can just pop the guts out really - the one time he delivered them fresh I decided to do it there and then and it was gross as everything flopped out everywhere!). Remember if he's eating them fresh, keep up on your worming regime - otherwise freeze for several weeks (I do a minimum of 3, usually more) to ensure parasites are killed.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BC's & GWPxSlovak
12-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Sometimes I get mine fresh, sometimes I get given them already frozen. I always gut the fresh ones, i've tried gutting them frozen and I made a right mess of it, it was much easier to open the rabbit up and have the fresh guts tumble out!

Rabbits carry tapeworm so I do prefer to gut them if I can but if not, I make sure they've been frozen for several weeks and then feed them whole. After all, a wild dog would eat the stomach and guts first, it's very good food.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: large ones
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

If my dogs catch rabbits there is no time to gut them..............

My "lamper" gets me rabbits and guts them for me.