View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2011, 09:36 AM

My neighbour has cat napped my cat,im so upset!

My cat had been missing for a few days i had been going out of my mind worrying about him,knocked an all the doors asked if they could check there sheds,etc and i saw yesterday that a neighbour had my cat and has been feeding him and letting him in her house,she knew he was my cat and still didnt say that he had been at her house.I have had my cat for nearly 12 years since he was an abandoned kitten,he is sooo friendly ,dog savy and loves everyone,but i only feed him dry food as wet goes straight through him he does have tuna and chicken twice a week,but he seems to have moved in with this neighbour and im so upset and dont know what i can do>Her house is a very quite house mine isnt but that is what my cat is used to,he would spend all day out the front and come in at about 7 at night to have a cuddle and sleep<they do say you never own a cat but it owns you,i just never thought in the slightest that my cat would move somewhere else,ever,i think its because she is feeding him wet food,,i feel like i have let him down and am torn between just getting him back and keeping him onside for a while and telling her not to feed him or just trying to talk to her and seeing if she is going to look after him properly,we are all so upset and i dont know what is best,if my cat wants peace and quite as he is getting older then i want him to have that but hes my mate and she should never have kept him in and started to feed him,so any suggestions???sorry for the long post..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Maybe have a chat with the neighbour and ask her nicely to stop feeding your cat. Cats it seems will find a fireside anywhere if they are comfortable and fed.

We have a cat round here that sleeps in our front garden it is quiet and he is welcome, he is not so welcome when he comes to sit by the pond eyeing up my fish so I shoo him away from the back. He did come in the other evening for a wander round our living room when the door was open and then left but I defintaley do not feed him he is not mine and I certainly would not encourage him away from his home.

I had a cat an elderly cat go missing a couple of years ago and know how distressing it is I do know for a fact Bruno would not of gone anywhere else he was terrifiend of strangers as he was abused as a kitten he was ill I think and decided to go off on his own much like we found him.

So definatley go and have a chat with your neighbour tell them it is distressing for you and hopefully they will stop feeding him.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I think this is just one of the things you have to accept when you choose to let a pet roam. I don't really see what you can do other than ask her to stop and/or keep the cat in. Maybe you could look at cat-proofing your garden or buying/making a cat run, so you can allow outdoor access but the cat is still safely contained?
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2011, 10:14 AM
you could have a word with the neighbour, and tell them your cat is on a special veterinary diet and should not be fed anything else, i've done this in the past when i've been trying to diet one of my cats and it's worked quite well.

if you can get her to stop feeding, he should move back in.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Cats do move out from some homes and move into others. you need to ask yourself why?
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the replys,i will go and chat with the neighbour in a bit when im a bit less upset and see what the story is...

I have been asking myself why all the time,nothing at home has changed,he always just sat right outside the house and everyone used to talk to him,the only difference i can think off is that there has been a large ginger tom hanging about outside my front for the last week after the cat next door,so i am asuming that they could have had a fight and zoro(my cat)has lost his territory and he cant just chill out there anymore,where he has gone is just around the corner..there is only a handfull of houses around here and the cats tend to stay local or catch in the fields but he doesnt go hunting anymore and he just chills.This tom lives over the road and up untill this week i had never seen him before this is the only change i can think off.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Well you know what they say, dogs have owners and cats have staff!
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:41 AM
update:just went up to see my neighbour and my cat was sat out the front of her house,so i just called him and he followed me,untill he was close to my house,then stopped,so i just picked him up and bought him inside and he is now just sat on his towel on the side purring as if nothing has happened(littlegit)
I am going to shoo the male cat away from the front and hopefully..if my cat doesnt feel threatened he may just decide to stay at home..if not then i will just have to talk to neighbour about sharing him,it would seem that he is worried about approaching my house,somethings happened,but is content inside,will keep him in for a while and see how he is..why do we have pets???????lol
Sgurr
New Member!
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear he is home.

Cheers
Sgurr
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:51 PM
have a word with your neighbour and explain that she is on a special diet ect. Is she chipped? I have put leaflets through doors before now explaining my cat has a home he just likes to be outside a lot in the warm weather, this was when someone was threatening to take him to the rspca as an cat that was being neglected. He use to go out at 6am and come back around midnight even though there was someone in and out all day he wanted to be out.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Cats do move out from some homes and move into others. you need to ask yourself why?
Mine is because she is on a diet and i find it quiet annoying that a neighbour keeps her in at night when she knows we only go to bed really late and check she isnt out before we go to bed so its not like she will be left out all night.

I have to keep her in for a bit otherwise she will move where she can get food and she will eat and eat and eat which isnt good for her =(

ATD x