View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 12:27 AM

Tara in emergency vets (strokes and collapse)

Had to take my poor old girl in to the Royal Veterinary College tonight and they have kept her in for tests and treatment.

Over the past couple of months she has begun to experience 'stroke' type episodes, usually resulting in weakness and collapse to her left side. She normally recovers from these within about 30 minutes and has been put onto various medications to help.

Had her in the vets on Thursday as she had another episode which was worse than normal, and some new medication was prescribed. She had another minor episode yesterday but recovered within 5 minutes.

Then tonight at around 6:30pm she stumbled coming up the stairs, and then kept falling to her left for around 10 minutes until she completely collapsed. Managed to get her up at which point she promptly vomited everywhere. After around 3 hours she was still stumbling and had a head tilt to the left side, combined with having vomited around 8 - 9 times every time she stood up.

Neurological exam was pretty good except for some nystagmus which is to be expected. This hopefully means that it is more likely to be a vestibular problem as opposed to a central nervous system issue, but obviously we can't rule out anything more sinister completely she is being given fluid therapy for her dehydration and vomiting and they will be running bloods overnight and keeping an eye on her.

Hopefully I will be able to pick her up in the morning, I just can't stop thinking about my little girl and hoping she's ok, although I know they would phone if not. Please keep your fingers crossed for my baby mummy will be awaiting that phone call desperately in the morning!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:10 AM
I hope things look more optimistic this morning.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Sorry to hear Tara's episodes have got worse. I hope you get some good news this morning with a diagnosis of whats going on and hear that its easily treatable.
Lots of positive (((vibes))) coming her way and big (((hugs))) to you.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Poor Tara hope she will be ok.

As you know I cannot praise that place enough the way they looked after Ollie and especially Nadia and her team. (Neurology).

If they could of fixed what was wrong to send him home healthy they would of done especially Nadia.

So stay strong knowing they will pull out all the stops they can to get to the bottom of the problem and send her home well.

They don't give up easy in that place.

(((Hugs))).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Sorry to hear that Tara has been getting worse over the past couple of months, and I do hope that she is over her most recent episode and is able to come home to you today.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear about Tara, I hope they can find the problem and get her on the appropriate treatment. Hugs to all.
Becky
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks everyone, had a phonecall from them this morning after a very sleepless night! She has improved enough overnight for them to be happy to send her home, she's not vomited all night and is better hydrated this morning. She's still a bit wonky and stumbly but they did say it can take some dogs several days to fully recover. Bloods didn't reveal anything we didn't already know with her liver and kidney disease although her kidneys have improved on the last blood test.

They're holding off other tests at the moment due to her being an older lady with her other problems, we're all of the same opinion that a GA would be a last resort for her right now. So we don't have a diagnosis as such right now, I guess they'll speak to me about medications and further episodes when I collect her.

Going to collect her about half 10. Max is looking very lost without her bless him, haven't quite worked out how I'm going to explain to him that she needs some quiet time yet

Can't wait to have her home where she belongs!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Glad you will be able to have Tara home soon and I hope she continues to improve.
Such a worry for you. Huge hugs to you both xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Thats good news. Pleased she is coming home.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Glad Tara can come home, Hayley...... hope she recovers well honey

x0x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >