Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf's Mum
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Border Terrier CECS

My dog had an episode last night, he had a suspected 'funny turn' 2 years ago and the vet thought it might have been Canine Epileptoid cramping. Althugh that time he had got soaked in the rain and they didnt know if it had been a shock type seizure.

But last night was just normal and then all of a sudden it started. I have seen the videos on the website and i am almost 100% sure it is this, his body and his awareness of the situation where almost identical.

He also gets some other symptoms like the very grumbly stomach, stretching, licking.

I think i had lulled myself into a false sense of security and thought it was a one off, but now i feel bad that he is obviously having minor symptoms all the time and i need to do something about it.

The vet has run bloods to check various organs are okay, but i think i am going to start by changing the diet.

Am i right in thinking i should remove gluten and try feed raw meats to him?

Any suggestions for which foods?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Murf's Mum View Post
My dog had an episode last night, he had a suspected 'funny turn' 2 years ago and the vet thought it might have been Canine Epileptoid cramping. Althugh that time he had got soaked in the rain and they didnt know if it had been a shock type seizure.

But last night was just normal and then all of a sudden it started. I have seen the videos on the website and i am almost 100% sure it is this, his body and his awareness of the situation where almost identical.

He also gets some other symptoms like the very grumbly stomach, stretching, licking.

I think i had lulled myself into a false sense of security and thought it was a one off, but now i feel bad that he is obviously having minor symptoms all the time and i need to do something about it.

The vet has run bloods to check various organs are okay, but i think i am going to start by changing the diet.

Am i right in thinking i should remove gluten and try feed raw meats to him?

Any suggestions for which foods?
Mum?????
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't know if this will help, but others who have more recent experience may be able to confirm or throw out.

A few years ago I worked with a little BT who had episodes of being very aggressive to people and dogs. I couldn't put my finger on it, but knew it was more than behavioural.

By chance (and in desperation if I'm honest) we changed his diet to Wafcol Salmon and Potato and he was a different dog. All the aggression stopped and the 'odd' behaviour he showed from time to time that the owner had described also stopped.

I don't honestly know if it was CEC or not and it was pre the time when vets readily recognised the condition.

I mention it because others may be able to confirm/deny whether or not they have tried a similar dietary change that improved the CECs condition?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
This site will help with your questions and the diet change.

http://www.borderterrier-cecs.com/
sampbradley
New Member!
Male 

16-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I posted about a year ago regarding my Border, (7 yrs bitch), who had a 3 year history of confirmed CECS with regular seizures. The seizures were becoming more frequent. She had been on Science Diet ZD for several years.

I changed her to an all raw diet . . .no change. I changed her to Natures Recipe grain free, "Salmon, Pumpkin & Sweet Potato" with NO GRAIN, i.e. corn, wheat, etc. That was a year ago this week.

The seizures stopped immediately!! In the past year she has only had this food in her mouth . . .she gets a few kibbles for treats and 1/3 cup a.m. and 1/3 cup p.m. Her health is 100% and she has not had a seizure in a year.

I am NOT promoting Nature's Recipe grain free, but rather simply telling all you owners of suffering dogs please try this. . . get them off a diet that has grain and beef in it. My vet felt that the protein chain in beef could be a cause.

I can attest to the Salmon, pumpkin and sweet potato mixture. Give it a try . . . it sure can't hurt. There are a lot of beef and grain free kibbles out there to pick from.

Sam
sampbradley
New Member!
Male 

16-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post this important bit of information; NO rawhide chews, pig ears and the like. No food of any type but the kibble that is beef and grain free. If you have to give a rawhide chew . . . please only do it after the CECS is totally under control and if it returns remove the rawhide chews . . .you will have just proved one of the causes, (beef protein chain).

Sam
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
only just read this post my 4 yr old border has cecs started when she was 1 i worked it out and then advised the vets who studied it and agreed, shes now on diazapan as she was having 6 episodes a day but i may change her diet to the above shes on burgess sensative at the moment but shes still having a few episodes but nothing like it was and she does get aggressive with other dogs as well
sampbradley
New Member!
Male 

02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
only just read this post my 4 yr old border has cecs started when she was 1 i worked it out and then advised the vets who studied it and agreed, shes now on diazapan as she was having 6 episodes a day but i may change her diet to the above shes on burgess sensative at the moment but shes still having a few episodes but nothing like it was and she does get aggressive with other dogs as well
PLEASE get her off any food that has a grain base and has beef and/or beef byproducts in it, which your Burgess food does, (maze = corn and beef liver). You will be amazed. As for the diazepam, my vet did the same thing . . .diazepam is treating the symptom, not the cause just at it does in people. Having battled this disease for years I am convinced it is a protein chain problem in some BTs. Do your dog and yourself a big favor and drop the grain and beef based food including treats and you will be able to drop the diazepam, (which is highly addictive).
sampbradley
New Member!
Male 

02-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Second reply:
Since you are in the UK and likely can't get Nature's Choice, I did a bit of research and would reccomend Orijin, which apprears to be the same family of products. The link to their product that gets your BT off grain and beef follows:

http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acat..._fish_dog.html
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2011, 08:53 AM
well this morning just been out and bought wafcol salmon and pot will start it tonight(didnt get it in time for brekkie!!) will keep you informed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >