Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:43 AM

What treats do raw feeders use?

my dogs are on raw food, so i am looking for treats that are as natural as possible.

during the day they have things to chew on like pigs ears, cow ears, hooves, and pork rolls. but i am looking for something to feed them at supper (before bed) my nana gives them things like pedigree sticks, and i dont want my dogs having these so need to find an alternative. what can i give them as a bedtime treat that wont last them too long to eat?

what sort of treats do you guys use?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
my dogs are on raw food, so i am looking for treats that are as natural as possible.

during the day they have things to chew on like pigs ears, cow ears, hooves, and pork rolls. but i am looking for something to feed them at supper (before bed) my nana gives them things like pedigree sticks, and i dont want my dogs having these so need to find an alternative. what can i give them as a bedtime treat that wont last them too long to eat?

what sort of treats do you guys use?
Tripe Sticks
Fish 4 Dogs Sea Jerky
Banana
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:10 AM
I make my own treats most of the time, you could make a batch of biscuits (I have a bone shaped cutter that makes Bonio-sized biscuits). I make them grain-free by using buckwheat flour (buckwheat isn't actually a grain, but a fruit seed), or you could use potato flour, rice flour, etc.
I don't follow any particular recipe, just chuck together dog-safe ingredients. I might make fishy biscuits by mixing a Fish4Dogs salmon mousse pouch with an egg and flour, make to a dough, roll out and cut with cutters. Cook until dry - the dryer the treat, the longer they tend to last. I freeze the excess (tend to make big batches) and keep the fresh lot in an air-tight jar.
Zooplus has some slightly different natural treats to those you find in petshops. I specifically went for longer lasting ones but they do smaller snacky bits that might suit Tripe sticks don't last too long, but OH banned me from buying a box - a small bag smells bad enough, let along buying in bulk!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Pizzle
paddywhack
Dried fish skins
I dry out chicken/kidney/heart etc in the oven as training treats
Tripe sticks

Zooplus do dried sprats wrapped in a but of dried chicken, they go down very nicely
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 12:49 PM
For training treats I use kibble, liver cake or hot dog sausages.

If I want my dogs to have a bedtime or midday snack they'll get fruit (banana/pear/apple) or cottage cheese or natural yoghurt with a raw egg mixed in.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Markies before bed.
Gravy bones or hot dogs or cheese for training.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:46 PM
thanks for the replies may try them on banana and see what they make of it.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Or maybe whole raw carrots? I give these to Cain as a treat and don't take too long to consume.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 05:59 PM
The "treat" i use most for mine is cucumber... i actually have to fight them off if i am having it myself, and they have been known to raid shopping bags for it

The mob also have air dried liver (very very sparingly), liver cake, tuna cake, and on birthdays salmon and cream cheese muffins - all of which are made with gluten free flour