Female 

19-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Dry food to aid weight gain

As the title says really...
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I started using Arden Grange Prestige as it has a lot of calories per portion compared to most of the others. Well all of the others that I found and it is decent food also.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:47 AM
depends on the dog and how much weight it need's to gain.

if a dog is really thin then the best thing to do is to feed puppy food little and often usually around 5 meals a day like you would a puppy.

if it needs to gain a little weight like ty did when he was a year and a half a good working dog food should do the trick i gave ty double the amount that was reccomended for around two months and he went from 26kg to 32kg in that time i then brought him back down to the proper amount and he gained the other few kg quite easily now the trouble i have is keeping his weight down from 40kg to around the 38 mark
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:49 AM
.....my Flea is a fussy anorexic sh*t raw suits him best but freezer space was scarce recently..he needed to gain 4kg so that he didnt rock the 'lollypop head' look.

its high fat and protein u want......orijen has done the trick 4kg in about a month!

orijen adult isnt that overly expensive out of their range. compared to other premium foods.

tis the only thing that has worked for flea after 5 years of experimenting.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
depends on the dog and how much weight it need's to gain.

if a dog is really thin then the best thing to do is to feed puppy food little and often usually around 5 meals a day like you would a puppy.

if it needs to gain a little weight like ty did when he was a year and a half a good working dog food should do the trick i gave ty double the amount that was reccomended for around two months and he went from 26kg to 32kg in that time i then brought him back down to the proper amount and he gained the other few kg quite easily now the trouble i have is keeping his weight down from 40kg to around the 38 mark
alot of dogs tummys wouldnt be able to deal with that,glad it worked for yours tho
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Raw tripes the best, its mild, gentle on digestion & they love it. Add to what they get or give as separate meal.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Raw tripes the best, its mild, gentle on digestion & they love it. Add to what they get or give as separate meal.
while i agree raw tripe is good for weight gain ime its defo not that gentle on digestion
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
As the title says really...
Are you able to add more fat to the diet without any problems eg. raw pork back fat. Dogs can handle reasonable amounts of fat very well unless there is a disorder like pancreaitis.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Are you able to add more fat to the diet without any problems eg. raw pork back fat. Dogs can handle reasonable amounts of fat very well unless there is a disorder like pancreaitis.
suet is an old weight gain trick..as long as the belly can handle it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I tried suet before the Arden Grange and Arden Grange worked better
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >