Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Satellite Broadband

Does anyone have it? Any good? Anything bad about it? What is the speed like? Who are you with?

Thank you

Helen
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Does anyone have it? Any good? Anything bad about it? What is the speed like? Who are you with?
Thank you
Helen
I have it in my motorhome, I am with these people:-

http://www.ipcopter.com/en/

If you look at their satelite footprint you'll see they don't cover Scotland or Northern Ireland. They are Germany based but I can get all the free to air channels and hundreds more ('tho most are rubbish )

Speed is not quite as fast as the cable service we get at home. I pay for 40 days per year which being in the motorhome is all I really need.

Only bad thing is you must not have any trees around you, the dish must be able to see the satellite, having said that it only has to move a few metres sometimes, so on a house you can normally get both the up and down signal.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for that. Speed isn't an issue really as we are on dial up so ANYTHING is better than that lol.

Thanks again
Helen
ourmike
New Member!
Male 

18-05-2011, 05:14 AM
We haven't tried satellite but we've been using a Three mifi in parts of the East Midlands for the past couple of months and are very happy with it. Not sure what the actual speed is but it's reasonably quick and we can watch Youtube movies OK.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Three mifi? If that's anything to do with a mobile signal, we don't get reception in the house.

Helen
ourmike
New Member!
Male 

19-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Three mifi? If that's anything to do with a mobile signal, we don't get reception in the house.

Helen
It's a mobile broadband unit but you can connect up to 5 computers to it by wifi, so it doesn't have to be near the computer.

We live in a steel boat and don't get a useable signal inside but we hang the mifi in a window. In a house you could put it in the loft or outside in a shed or something (not sure what the range is though).

Ours cost something like £70 including 3GB of data.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Mobile broadband is out here as we only really get a slight signal by the kennels, which is about 50m away. I can download my emails onto my phone but I have to put my phone on the gatepost as no where else will do it. Some days, I don't get a signal at all.

Thanks anyway

Helen
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Mobile broadband is out here as we only really get a slight signal by the kennels, which is about 50m away. I can download my emails onto my phone but I have to put my phone on the gatepost as no where else will do it. Some days, I don't get a signal at all.

Thanks anyway

Helen
Oh yes Helen, been there done that, standing in the rain trying to make an important phone call

When we moved here (Czechland) the phone company said they had no plans to put broadband in but one year latter they installed it That was quite an improvement on BT who wrote to me in 1997 to say braodband was comming, they eventually installed it 7 years latter in May 2004, that was the year we moved here

Satellite is probably your best bet but for 365 day coverage it is quite expensive, 'tho you'll be able to use Skype phone calls which saves a bit.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:15 AM
It has been known to walk to the top of the hill to send a work email, with a big attachment! Ridiculous in this day and age!

We have been promised broadband for over a year now and they have kept changing their minds about how they are going to fund it. There has been money in the pot for it, it was then taken away, and then given back and they are now saying that the money has be raised again. The biggest clue is that the land agent has now got satellite broadband and he was the one who was very much involved in getting it through a cable!

We have found a company and are just waiting for a few things to be organised by the community and we will go ahead and order it. It's £50 installation fee and £30 per month. For that, we get 3.6mbps download speed, a lower upload speed, all the equipment but only 2.4gb allowance so we will have to see about that.

It will just be nice to be able to browse the internet like most other people and not have to sit and wait 45 mins for my emails to download!

Helen
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-05-2011, 02:59 PM
It's £50 installation fee and £30 per month. For that, we get 3.6mbps download speed, a lower upload speed, all the equipment but only 2.4gb allowance so we will have to see about that.

It will just be nice to be able to browse the internet like most other people and not have to sit and wait 45 mins for my emails to download!

Helen
To me that sounds like a pretty good deal, you don't need a fast upload speed and to me 24 Giga bytes seems more than adequate but to some people it might not be. Is that per day I assume it is.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >