Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jinete
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Need help with senior with dodgy guts!

Hi, I've just joined because I'd value some advice on what to do next with my 11 year old male rough collie. He's always had a sensitive digestion and recently cost me a few hundred at the vets because he couldn't keep any food down, kept vomiting bile and had diarrhoea like dark chocolate sauce!
The vets thought he may have liver or pancreas problems, but he's tested clear for everything. Then he started getting my mum up in the night because he apparently wanted a wee. He does have a slightly enlarged prostate (he's never been neutered, I have him chemically castrated with an implant every year, his mother's coat became impossible to groom - not good in this breed - and became very overweight when I had her neutered so didn't want a repeat!) however the vet re-scanned his prostate and it hasn't changed, so no real reason to be waking up in the night - except poss because his mind is decaying?

When this started, he was put onto the Hills intestinal diet (I/d) tinned food and he loved it - but it would cost me between £3-£4 a day to feed him - waaay beyond my budget!! So he got put onto the I/d dry biscuits - only...he hates them, we've been persisting, but as he's never been a foody dog, he's just picking the odd biscuit, and nothing more and his poos have got very small and unpleasant again....just don't know what to try him on, as he has such a sensitive digestive system. It has to be something easy, as he lives with my parents - my house has too many stairs for this old man - and they don't cope well with anything complicated. Any advice or suggestions of foods or diets will be gratefully accepted!! He's fine in himself, still loving his walks etc, just awfully disappointed at mealtimes and we get rather disappointed at what he produces at the other end!!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Hello, another Roughie fan here.

Have you tried Chappie? Bracken, my last boy lived on Chappie and tripe sticks for his last 2-3 years. He had a sensitive gut too
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your poor old boy. Has the vet done a cushings test at all? Might be worth a mention to the vet? I have an old boy with cushings and the getting up iin the night, the occassional sickness, occassional diarrhea it might all be relevant? Just worth mentioning to him imo, he might disregard it totally.

I agree about the Chappie, even a vet would recommed Chappie for sensitive digestive systems, it's very bland and most dogs seem to love it. All the best with him.
jinete
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you, looks like Chappie is coming out a winner! Any particular flavour - or dry or wet food?

My vet did think of Cushings, but none of his bloodwork gives any hint of it and when she scanned his prostate she 'accidentally' scanned all his abdominal organs including his adrenal glands to check for it, only to report that even for an 11 year old his internal organs were in excellent condition, much to her confusement!!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Bracken prefered the wet (and tbh, I was happy at that stage to give him whatever he wanted)

He was the same, his bloods were all normal, but Roughs are known for having sensitive tummies (but being complete nut jobs!) Having said that my bitch is better for being on raw (maybe for the next one eh!)

what is your boys breeding?
jinete
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes, his mother was exactly the same, neither could have dog food with different coloured kibble, they would throw up a rainbow if they did! They had a pigs ear each once, ended up with both of them having to be let out in the garden at 3am and resulted in a lot of petticoat cleaning!!
He is from Gerian/Brettonpark lines.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Lovely! I do love the Gerian dogs ( I think Gerian is in Poppy's pedigree somewhere )

Coloured dog food is a big no no anyway LOL. Poppy pukes at the weirdest things ( she cannot eat fish in any way shape or form...expolsions from both ends!)

I just noticed you are in Kent too!
jinete
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes Gee has produced some very lovely dogs! My late girl was out of her first ever champion and was a beautiful cheeky girl!
I tried feeding her on the barf diet briefly, and she managed to steal a whole raw mackeral - I'd never seen her throw up so much in my life!! Yet she still seemed to find it amusing that she'd managed to steal it!!
Are you in North, East, South or West Kent?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Im in Sittingbourne!
jinete
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm in planet Thanet! Handy for the beach as Mr Sable loves it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >