Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Depressed dog

I can't get my dog to the vets until tuesday so have had to check google.
Symptoms.
Barely touching food (unless i hand feed her), i've put water in there hot and cold and an egg on different days - she's never refused an egg before
Separating herself (not rooms but chairs which is off character)
Lethargic (not too bad but enough for me to notice)
Not drinking much ( about a third LESS than normal)
'daydreaming' and not blinking as much
Shaking which only started half hour ago but it's stopped - thats likely just because of me being worried and fussing over her
She's fast asleep at the moment so i'm probably making it sound a lot worse than it is.

Only thing i can think is causing this is;
my neighbour passed away three weeks ago and she had two dogs Kyle and Meg - Millie always hated Meg but she was completely in love with Kyle. Kyle was the only dog Millie NEVER tried to harm and is the only dog she's ever had contact with as she's VERY dog aggressive and so are most dogs in the village.
Meg and Kyle have gone to a rescue centre now so Millie has no one to talk to (she keeps going around the corner of our garden where the fence separating our houses is, barks, gets no response and comes in crying
She is barking at other dogs in the street but obviously it's not going to be the same for her.
I need ways to try and help her (if it is depression) as it's heartbreaking seeing her coming in the house crying 99% of the time.
She's not a toy oriented dog either. I've been giving her extra cuddles today which seems to be helping her but i'm at college on Tueday and my mum only pops in every few hours.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I can't get my dog to the vets until tuesday so have had to check google.
Symptoms.
Barely touching food (unless i hand feed her), i've put water in there hot and cold and an egg on different days - she's never refused an egg before
Separating herself (not rooms but chairs which is off character)
Lethargic (not too bad but enough for me to notice)
Not drinking much ( about a third LESS than normal)
'daydreaming' and not blinking as much
Shaking which only started half hour ago but it's stopped - thats likely just because of me being worried and fussing over her
She's fast asleep at the moment so i'm probably making it sound a lot worse than it is.

Only thing i can think is causing this is;
my neighbour passed away three weeks ago and she had two dogs Kyle and Meg - Millie always hated Meg but she was completely in love with Kyle. Kyle was the only dog Millie NEVER tried to harm and is the only dog she's ever had contact with as she's VERY dog aggressive and so are most dogs in the village.
Meg and Kyle have gone to a rescue centre now so Millie has no one to talk to (she keeps going around the corner of our garden where the fence separating our houses is, barks, gets no response and comes in crying
She is barking at other dogs in the street but obviously it's not going to be the same for her.
I need ways to try and help her (if it is depression) as it's heartbreaking seeing her coming in the house crying 99% of the time.
She's not a toy oriented dog either. I've been giving her extra cuddles today which seems to be helping her but i'm at college on Tueday and my mum only pops in every few hours.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sorry no advice just wanted to send a hug. Hope all is well soon x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
It is not necessarily depression, there could be a physical cause and this needs to be checked. Is there definitely no way of getting your dog to a vet any sooner?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Can you have a look at her gums and check they`re not paler than usual? And can you take her temperature to see if it`s an infection?
Make sure she has fluids - you can put a pinch of sugar and a tiny pinch of salt in if she`s not eating. And call the emergency vet if you`re worried.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I would definitely get her to the vets. If your vet does not have an emergency number, try yellow pages.

Unless she is used to a completey regimented routine, where nothing has ever changed, I very much doubt she is depressed. She may be looking for her mate for re-assurance, as she is feeling poorly.

Fussing her may be reinforcing her concern, so I'd just let her be.

Hope you get her sorted xx
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 06:25 PM
My vet doesn't have an emergency (he is a bit of a **** though)
Dad just walked her (he hasn't for ages and he's 'pack leader', apparently she tried to kill a couple of dogs and he got her a jumbone and she was teasing it a little and it now tucking in with her tail wagging, ears up. I'm gonna see how she is after she's eaten that. I've moved her bowls into the front room so i can tell when she has a drink etc.

I'm going to check her gums and TPR after she's eaten it - prefer she eats peacefully first
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
Dad just walked her (he hasn't for ages and he's 'pack leader', apparently she tried to kill a couple of dogs and he got her a jumbone
Are you serious?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Are you serious?
Sorry, not literally - she lunges; hackles up, teeth baring etc. she never got to them or anything.

Her respiration, CRT and heatbeat are all fine and gums are also fine.
She finished her jumbone, went and had a drink (about a third of her bowl) and scoffed her dinner down (when she saw the cat)
Fast asleep blushing now gonna keep an eye on her though

Very happy she's eaten something though. Gonna keep an eye on her the next few hours then may take her to emergency vets.

Thanks for advice- i'll keep you updated
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I said i'll do an update, she was doing absolutly fine until last night (around midnight) she came down this morning and had a little to eat and have a drink which is what she normally does.
I am so glad that my friend brought me home from college early. As my mum was just sitting around watching TV (normal for her), i went into the kitchen and found a fair bit of sick which we are pretty sure is bile.
My mum and dad have taken her to the vet now and am waiting to hear from them, i am not absolutly terrified as i have no idea at all what the outcome is going to be
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
she's just go back and is much better.
It's gastroenteritis
She's been given a vomitting injection, antibiotics and something to repair her stomach lining
I've never had my moods change so quickly
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >