Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Cooking hotdogs for training..

Any tips for me here, I did some ages ago, but they weren't exactly easy to hold And after a while all the fatty stuff was starting to show..

If this is in the wrong place can a mod please move it, thank you
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't use them anymore but what I used to do was drain the water from the tin, let them soak in plain water for a while (to try to get as much salt out as possible), zap in the microwave, then chop up into little bits, place on a baking tray and cook at a low temperature for about 20 mins. Dried them out a little bit (I didn't cook them completely dry) so less greasy and easier to hold. Chuck into a treatbag with a mix of little cheese squares and grain-free kibble, and voila, the kibble takes on the hotdog and cheese smells and you've got a mix of interesting treats for the dogs
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't use them anymore but what I used to do was drain the water from the tin, let them soak in plain water for a while (to try to get as much salt out as possible), zap in the microwave, then chop up into little bits, place on a baking tray and cook at a low temperature for about 20 mins. Dried them out a little bit (I didn't cook them completely dry) so less greasy and easier to hold. Chuck into a treatbag with a mix of little cheese squares and grain-free kibble, and voila, the kibble takes on the hotdog and cheese smells and you've got a mix of interesting treats for the dogs
How long did you nuke them for?

Thank you
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I didn't cook them!
Just chop them up and put them in the treat bag - normally about 5 mins before I was due to go to training lol
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I didn't cook them!
Just chop them up and put them in the treat bag - normally about 5 mins before I was due to go to training lol
I couldn't do that - I have a thing about uncooked meat - another of my strange things (can't touch photo/glossy paper)

But if I get over it - I shall do that
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Hotdogs are already cooked so you probably don't need to microwave them really but I just followed the instructions on the tin ('cause then I could pinch one to eat myself )
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh ok - they look gross to me - can't stand hotdogs. LOL

Thank you for the tip
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I use turkey hot dogs (specifically, kosher ones, as they seem to be less greasy than their non-kosher counterparts). I just cut them up and nuke them for a bit to get rid of some excess water/grease (on paper towels so it soaks that stuff up), throw 'em in a bag and I'm set to go.

I like the turkey ones because they're lower in fat.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I couldn't do that - I have a thing about uncooked meat - another of my strange things (can't touch photo/glossy paper)

But if I get over it - I shall do that
But they are already cooked!

I used to drain them, chop into little rounds, leave them out on kitchen paper on the window sill for an hour then put them in my treat bag....
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 02:38 PM
The ones in the packets are drier than the tinned ones.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >