Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Serial chewer!

I've got a serial chewer living in my house! He will chew anything and everything!! I also have another dog who pinches his chewy treats! Any ideas??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi

More info would help...

How old is the dog? has he always been a serial chewer or has this behaviour started recently?

Dogs chew for all sorts of reasons; through separation anxiety, boredom, as a stress relief, teething, through habit, etc.
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Hiya.

Bryan the chewer has always been a chewer! He is about 18mths old and castrated. He loves to chew. He will chew anything that is within his reach. He is a gorgeous little man who is very affectionate and has a lovely life.

He does not seem anxious or worried so I don't think that is the problem. He will do it at any opportunity, whether I am at home or not, in the house or the garden.

Would he still be teething at his age? My other dog, a 4 yr old lab used to chew but stopped a long time ago.

Its really getting to be a nuisance now because he will go out of his way to chew. He has munched my daughters bicycle helmet today and the sweeper brush from the hoover!!
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 03:37 PM
My goldie was a big chewer when he was younger, but buying a few Kongs and fillable treat ball saved my house
I used Kongs and treat balls for all his meals, praised him when he settled down with them and pretty soon we could just give him a chew or toy and say settle down and he would.
If you can redirect his chewing to the the Kong activity ball and jumping jack stick you might find he spends quite a while trying to lick the food out of them.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Not all dogs grow out of chewing unfortunately, some just seem to genuinely like to chew. I still crate Rupert when we're out to prevent him chewing my furniture or the doors, he's 8 years old.

What do you provide for him to chew on? Kongs and bones and other toys don't cut it for Rupert, he likes to tear things into little pieces so I give him things like empty food boxes, the tubes from toilet rolls and stuff like that to destroy every few days and it seems to keep his destructive tendencies in check. Sure it means I've got to pick a mess up but I'd rather pick up bits of a cardboard box than bits of my sofa or shoes or doors.
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Bryan loves to pull things to pieces too but will settle with anything to chew!!

I have found some great things in Poundworld that both the dogs love and last ages. They are cow hooves filled with 'stuff'. The 'stuff' goes very quickly but the hooves last ages and they keep them busy for a long time.

The next challenge for me is be on guard and to not leave anything in his way!