Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Asda's Hero dog kibble

Has anybody ever tried this? They have a light version of this and I bought this for my westie. I had her on Burns but couldn't shift the extra weight she had put on when she was on steroids for itchy feet last year (she needs to lose 2 kilo). I have tried her with Burns own light food 'High Oats but she really disliked it and actually whined when I gave it to her (very canny she is). I bought some Hero Light Turkey and veg and she loves it. Anybody ever tried Hero, I looked at the packet and the ingredients seemed quite healthy but just wonder if anyone has tried and tested this food and their views on it.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
I would stay away from foods such as Asda's own Hero etc to be honest, you might find she ends up with more skin issues again, such as itchy feet, aside from the weight issue. (As far as I'm aware, it's along the same lines as Bakers, Pedigree etc which aren't great).

You could try other dry foods that are of a better quality than Hero, such as fish 4 dogs, James Wellbeloved (they do a turkey one which I think is light), Arden Grange etc. I think both JWB and Arden Grange both have light varieties, not sure about fish 4 dog but it is a very good food.

You could also try adding fresh or tinned fish or even fresh chicken or turkey to the dry food as well to make it appear more appetising to her.

I add EV olive oil to my dogs' teas every night - just a small drizzle - it's good for their skin and coat.

Or, as another suggestion, you could try mixing the Burns (or the others) food with Nature Diet light or even the Burns or JWB pouches. fish 4 dogs do a lovely complimentary salmon mousse, too.

All of the above have good treat ranges as well.

It is beneficial to try and stay away from poor quality foods with colours, addtives etc for Westies due to their issues with their skin, it's just not worth the risk.

Hope this helps.

Can I ask if she is allergic or intolerant to anything in particular?
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I've never used Hero food (I use Arden Grange sensitive) but my friend buys Harringtons from Asda for her Westie and is very pleased with it. She doesn't have a pet shop nearby and needs to use the supermarket, it seems to have quite good ingredients too and it's a lot cheaper than the James Wellbeloved she was using before.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I actually did buy Hero for Ben for a little while

It is better than the likes of bakers, but its not amazing - but he ate it which was more than he did with the higher quality stuff

if its cost I found CSJ amazing, helpful with a great range - and fantastic samples
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Cherry had a skin problem last year and the vet wasn't sure if it was a food allergy so we changed her food from a chicken and brown rice based food to one with Salmon and Potato. It's called "Barking Heads" and very good quality ingredients and they also do a light range for dogs needing to lose a bit of weight.

You can't buy it in "Pets at Home" but they sell it online or we can get it from a small independant petshop nearby.

Barking Heads isn't the cheapest dog food but then you don't want to be spending a small fortune at the vets with skin problems either!
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I would stay away from foods such as Asda's own Hero etc to be honest, you might find she ends up with more skin issues again, such as itchy feet, aside from the weight issue. (As far as I'm aware, it's along the same lines as Bakers, Pedigree etc which aren't great).

You could try other dry foods that are of a better quality than Hero, such as fish 4 dogs, James Wellbeloved (they do a turkey one which I think is light), Arden Grange etc. I think both JWB and Arden Grange both have light varieties, not sure about fish 4 dog but it is a very good food.

You could also try adding fresh or tinned fish or even fresh chicken or turkey to the dry food as well to make it appear more appetising to her.

I add EV olive oil to my dogs' teas every night - just a small drizzle - it's good for their skin and coat.

Or, as another suggestion, you could try mixing the Burns (or the others) food with Nature Diet light or even the Burns or JWB pouches. fish 4 dogs do a lovely complimentary salmon mousse, too.

All of the above have good treat ranges as well.

It is beneficial to try and stay away from poor quality foods with colours, addtives etc for Westies due to their issues with their skin, it's just not worth the risk.

Hope this helps.

Can I ask if she is allergic or intolerant to anything in particular?
I will definitely stop with the Hero as she had itchy feet last year and since I gave her kibble without wheat, additives, i.e Burns Chicken with brown rice, I also give her Raw Virgin Coconut Oil, a teaspoon a day, she has had no problems and her coat and skin are brilliant, so I don't want to risk starting the skin problems again; (her coat is so white a woman I met in the street asked if I had bleached it ) . I also give her a kong with diced raw vegetables and a small amount of Salmon mouse to top it up as a treat, now and again a small piece of apple/fruit/raw carrot as treats, I try to keep her treats low calorie, always aware to watch her weight.
I will check out fish4dogs light and others you mentioned, thank you.

Originally Posted by pam2 View Post
I've never used Hero food (I use Arden Grange sensitive) but my friend buys Harringtons from Asda for her Westie and is very pleased with it. She doesn't have a pet shop nearby and needs to use the supermarket, it seems to have quite good ingredients too and it's a lot cheaper than the James Wellbeloved she was using before.
I don't have a pet shop near me either, I have to travel to the nearest one so usually buy off the internet.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I actually did buy Hero for Ben for a little while

It is better than the likes of bakers, but its not amazing - but he ate it which was more than he did with the higher quality stuff

if its cost I found CSJ amazing, helpful with a great range - and fantastic samples
As she has had skin problems in the past I won't give her any more Hero, I don't want to risk it, I only started her on it on Thursday so I'll keep her on Burns until I can get a better quality of food, I just want a low calorie one that suits her even if it's a bit pricey, she's worth it.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Cherry had a skin problem last year and the vet wasn't sure if it was a food allergy so we changed her food from a chicken and brown rice based food to one with Salmon and Potato. It's called "Barking Heads" and very good quality ingredients and they also do a light range for dogs needing to lose a bit of weight.

You can't buy it in "Pets at Home" but they sell it online or we can get it from a small independant petshop nearby.

Barking Heads isn't the cheapest dog food but then you don't want to be spending a small fortune at the vets with skin problems either!
Besides spending a fortune at the vets, it's those steroids I dislike her having anything that prevents her taking them is worth it. I will have a look at Barking Heads as well as the others, there seems to be a good selection of good quality foods around, thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.