Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Trainers

This question is just out of interest really.. (well being nosey more like.)
Who here is a trainer?
Have you always done it? how did you get into dog training? any funny stories?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I am a dog trainer of my own and other people's dogs. However that is not my full time employment, it will be when i retire. I got into dog training by people asking my advice when they saw my dogs and asked if I would help them.

There are lots of funny stories but in the interest of client confidentiality I would not divulge them!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I am not a dog trainer (tho I wish I was) however I have helped the odd person who came to me via my business (and still do get calls asking for help)
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I think it is amazing, to watch dog trainers, and to see dogs weather it be in agility, freestyle, herding or any other abilities, is just wonderful, jaw dropping.
I know its taken hours and hours of practice and hard work but the end result looks effortless and easy.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by mcv View Post
This question is just out of interest really.. (well being nosey more like.)
Who here is a trainer?
Have you always done it? how did you get into dog training? any funny stories?
Hi, I am new to this thread but know several of the people here from another diss board that seems to have died Lol!

I am a full time accredited animal behaviour consultant with a cons room and obs area at my home (I live on a small farm) and also teach a couple of days a week private students with problem dogs. Saturdays I run a training school and between myself and collegues we teach 10 or so different classes throughout the day. Different disiplines and dog sports - also early puppy education groups. Very pro positive reinforcement methods and totally against aversive training.

I have always been involved in training - over 35 years - whew I started in the uk in the early 1970's (Lol now giving my age away) and in the early 1990"s went back to university and did some ethology studies - so kind of did my prac experience first then all the academic stuff afterwards.

Also involved with animal welfare which in SA where i live is a huge problem.

Best funny story this week. Had a behaviour client who had booked a dog in for a behaviour evaluation - a terrier who was escaping from the garden. One of the questions I always ask when working out a background and profile is "are you having any problems with aggression?"

The answer was a smilling "no - not aggressive at all" 30 seconds later said terrier bit my arm. Owner response.
"He doesnt normally bite THERE!"

My thought - wonder where he usually bites Lol!

Next best owner comment was "We didint think he would bite you as you are a dog trainer" Now why didnt I wear a sign or a badge so that the dog would have also known .......

Lol one day gonna write a book!
Cheers
Lou
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:11 AM

You have to love the things some people come out with...
You sound like youve got your hands full lou, i bet theres never a dull moment
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Retired now, but one of the many funny incidents was when a client asked if they could bring 'Trevor' along to the next session with their dog. I was so encouraging as I like to get all members of the family involved especially when there's a problem.

To cut a long story short, Trevor turned out to be the lady's other dog
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
ROFLMAO

I love that
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Retired now, but one of the many funny incidents was when a client asked if they could bring 'Trevor' along to the next session with their dog. I was so encouraging as I like to get all members of the family involved especially when there's a problem.

To cut a long story short, Trevor turned out to be the lady's other dog

Im a driving instructor, and i try an incorperate theory training with the practical side of things.
I had a student who had the previous week done the controlls of the car and we were recaping at the start of the following lesson, I asked her if the law required her to wear something while driving........ oh yes she said SHOES ( no luv seat belt!!!!)
It took all my energy not to fall outta the car laughing
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by mcv View Post

You have to love the things some people come out with...
You sound like youve got your hands full lou, i bet theres never a dull moment
I consider myself blessed to be able to do what I am passionate about - and sure - hands are full, but wouldnt have it any other way.

Hey - here is SA at least we got the weather on our side for outdoor training.............
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >