View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Shar pei pups with stitches in their faces.

I saw this in a mag, and decided to look into it, to see if its true, and how much, within two mins I cam to this site, surely its not right for pups to need this? I'm hoping its not common, but surely if the pups need to have this done it shows that something isn't right in the breeding? Does anyone know if this is common or not? Heres a link to a site where some of the pups have stitches in their faces, aoparently to stop some health problems, but surely it would be better to stop them problems by breeding dogs with less wrinkles?

http://bohobloo.com/puppies.aspx
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Agreed It says on the site that you have to get permission to show dogs who have been tacked so I would have thought it wouldn't be common, unless that's a recent thing, but it looks like there are a fair few pups on that site with stitches...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 02:37 PM
poor pups I dont know how common it is but I had heard of it

They are just TOOO wrinkly, I hope caring breeders try and fix that problem
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I may have read the same article as the OP, it was very upsetting. I couldn't believe the accompanying picture of a pup with stitches etc on its face.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 03:15 PM
that looks horrid poor pups
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Someone I used to work with had 2 shar pei dogs, one was about 5 years old (who needed her eyes tacked up when she was a pup) and the other was just a few months, who again had got her eyes tacked up when I met her at about 5 months old! So must be fairly common, and the stitches/tacking have to stay in for ages I think
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Agreed It says on the site that you have to get permission to show dogs who have been tacked so I would have thought it wouldn't be common, unless that's a recent thing, but it looks like there are a fair few pups on that site with stitches...
I hope it isn't common, I just don't think that any dog that is even suspected of this should be allowed anywhere near a show ring, as I thought that the dogs there should be healthy and great examples of their breed, and I don't think that if a dog needs something like this when young, no matter how lovely they are, they are not great examples of their breed.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
poor pups I dont know how common it is but I had heard of it

They are just TOOO wrinkly, I hope caring breeders try and fix that problem
So do I

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I may have read the same article as the OP, it was very upsetting. I couldn't believe the accompanying picture of a pup with stitches etc on its face.
I think that one was staples that the breeder was doing herself, and the kc was still registering pups and they were still being shown even with the evidence if I remember right

Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
that looks horrid poor pups
Doesn't it, I can't believe that young pups would need something like this because of how they're bred tbh, it so sad.

Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Someone I used to work with had 2 shar pei dogs, one was about 5 years old (who needed her eyes tacked up when she was a pup) and the other was just a few months, who again had got her eyes tacked up when I met her at about 5 months old! So must be fairly common, and the stitches/tacking have to stay in for ages I think
Poor things, I remember seeing a pic of a 'bone mouthed' shar pei I think they called it, which is a lot less wrinkly, now used by show breeders, and I think more like the oringal shar peis, probally wouldn't find one over here, but I must admit after hearing of the problems, I really do prefer them more (although tbh I don't know a lot about these dogs, either types).

This one, it looks a lot different to the show ones doesn't it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 09:52 AM
ive never seen a really really wrinkly shar pei. i think they are bred more for the pet market, because ive never seen a really wrinkly one at a show. they have a few on their face, but not all down their legs and body. think they pet makret target the wrinklier ones because they have the cut factor.

this is the one that got BOB at crufts last year, cant find this years one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekennelclub/4473010490/

he is an import from america though so probably not a good example of an english non wrinkly one. i dont think this one is excessivley wrinkly.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
ive never seen a really really wrinkly shar pei. i think they are bred more for the pet market, because ive never seen a really wrinkly one at a show. they have a few on their face, but not all down their legs and body. think they pet makret target the wrinklier ones because they have the cut factor.

this is the one that got BOB at crufts last year, cant find this years one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekennelclub/4473010490/

he is an import from america though so probably not a good example of an english non wrinkly one. i dont think this one is excessivley wrinkly.
He does look better then this one that I saw on a article,

(also got a stitch on the face )

Must admit I'm still looking around his eyes though, I think its just coz of what this threads about, tbh I still think that he has a lot of wrinkles around their, but he isn't the worse pic I've seen, and any that look less excessive (no matter how small to begin with) should be IMO classed as the better ones.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:08 AM
will try and find some that are on the show circuit from other shows, because i think they are alot less wrinkly than what youre showing!!! will see if i can find some in a min.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >