Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:53 PM

What does recall mean to YOU?

Some think of it as having to be competition standard, some that the dog comes straight back when called from distractions and sits in front, but what does it mean to you?

For me, if they come back reliably then I dont really care if they sit at all, sit squint etc if it was for a competition I would just have to train for it but in 'day to day life' as long as my dog has a good 'this way' 'keep going' 'here' 'back' etc I'm happy

oh and what are YOUR 'recall rules' that you have picked up along the way (while training)

Mine are; dont call the dog if you know they wont come, pick your spots to let them off and set them up for success, reward for any focus on me (whether of their own accord or I asked..) and provide plenty play oh and I taught 'lead on' so he is happy to get his lead on and its not a negative. He will actually stand and wait for it to go on when I call him, if I say 'lead on' once he's back.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not bothered about formalities really. If I blow the whistle, they know that means run straight to me and sit (for a treat of course). Most of the time though they are not too far from me anyway, and I'll just tell them to 'stop' in which case they'll just stand there until I come and clip the lead on.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I have different recall.
2 peeps on whistle means come back you're to far ahead.
1 longish blast is stop and come away from what you are doing (usually chasing the deer,) and,
a docker whistle with my fingers in my mouth means get your boney **** back here right now this second or your in deep trouble.
If I just peep the whistle quickly once it just means stop.
She does sit in front of me if I want her right back which goes down well at shows.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I trained a more formal recall (come at once, sit in front etc) and for that I used the word "come!".

I also trained the informal recall, which for me is about the dog coming back at once, (i like to see the dog racing back, as that is such fun and lovely to see, and it's what my dog does, but I understand some dogs may trot back and not run). For this I use "here!".

I also train the informal so that the dog comes up to me for a collar touch.

So for me it's basically coming straight back, fairly quickly (say within a few seconds, depending on how far away they are) as I feel this is safer.

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Basically the short answer is it means different things in different contexts!

My competition recall in the C & A round WT is entirely different to my "leisure" recall, but then again, so is my command!

I also have a different recall from criminals (when competing) and hides (when competing) and from sendaways (when competing) etc.

My rule is come immediately, do not sniff, cock leg etc.

I put my dogs in the stand, sit or down to put lead on, and they do not move until I TELL them they can.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I just call one of the dog's names & they both come running back, it doesn't matter which name, & I suspect I could call just about any word in the same sort of voice & they'd both come back! In fact if any of my friends call their dogs back, mine are usually the first to respond & come back to whoever called out Possibly the expectation of a tasty reward has a lot to do with it!

By a recall I like to ensure that a dog comes back to within touching distance (so a lead can be attached if necessary) & I expect a fairly quick response, not "well I just want to have a sniff here", or "I'll just check out this other dog first" type of delayed response. IMO the whole point of a recall is as a safety response so it needs to be pretty fast & right back to me. I'm not bothered about a sit at the end, just for them to be close enough for me to hold their collar, if necessary.

I practice this many times every walk, sometimes it's rewarded with a treat, sometimes with an ear rub, sometimes with a belly rub, sometimes with a happy voice, sometimes with a quick game with me.

But my dogs also know "wait" which means "stay where you are & don't go any further" & they do this pretty well too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2011, 02:27 PM
For my purposes as a none competing pet owner a recall means;
come here to me now promptly and willingly without fear and be assured doing so will be a pleasurable experience

Sorry missed adding my rules...
..with a puppy throw a treat/a toy a distance way then offer another adding the word come only as the puppy comes toward you then give lots of praise,
..every time your puppy comes toward you use this as a training opportunity add the word 'come' and make it a pleasurable thing to do,
..never call a dog to you for anything that is not pleasurable, go and fetch it instead,
..never call a puppy to you if you think it won't obey.
..practise practise practise until coming to you becomes second nature,do this first in the house where there are few distractions, then the garden, progress to safe areas away from home.
..continue to reinforce the recall with daily practise even when you think your puppy has learnt it well.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I call a name, usually Syd and they all come back at a gallop. I don't expect them to sit unless I tell them to, if I want to put a lead on or check them over I just say "come here" and they do.
I don't get the don't call them if you know they wont come tbh mine are trained to come whatever the distraction and no matter what they're doing.
My rules are simple I call they come, end of.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
For us recall is very much a work in progress. I would class a good recall as meaning my dog stops whatever else he's doing and happily returns to me.

At present I keep Dexter on a long line and let it trail, and repeatedly recall him and reward him.

When I see any young children or other dogs nearby, I pick up the lead just to ensure that Dex does not go hurtling over, which is his tendency....
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
My idea of recall is to come back to voice or whistle, NOW, not when you have finished, fairly fast and as direct as you can.

I dont enforce a sit at the end, but will sometimes ask for one and i need to be able to touch their collar.

I always treat with an edible treat, a fuss/stroke or a game with a ball for the one that likes them.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »