Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Shock collar thread

It seems a lot of shock collar talk has moved over to someone's personal thread (do we really want that? ) so think it's ok to start a general electric shock collar discussion here.

If you've made points in any other thread feel free to make them here too - just make sure nobody in particular is mentioned.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
My own personal viewpoint is that when any pet owner uses electric shock collars on dogs it is dog abuse.

Dog training has come on leaps and bounds since the dark ages, and more positive, less harsh methods are kinder, effective, and don't mentally or physically abuse the dog like electric shocks do - we just don't need to train with pain any more.

I hope the rest of the UK (/the world!) follows Wales' lead and bans the damn things!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
a waste of time as no genuine dog lover would use them. All it`ll do is give free advertising to the industry.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-03-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't agree Claire. Anyone viewing any of the recent shock collar threads will see that they are socially unacceptable - social pressure is key to social change.

The main purpose of this thread is to give people a place to have their say about them without having to in 'that' thread (which is just giving that person lots of posts in his thread).
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I just came back from a walk and on the way to the car park i saw a couple with 4 beautiful looking huskies and a terrier I made the obligatory sled joke ..Then noticed each dog had a extra blue collar with a square box attached ..
Would they be shock or spray collars do you think?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I get what C&D is talking about, if you glance at the first 5 or so threads, they are all about, E Collars, Prongs etc, isn't there enough of these threads. In an ideal world, I think maybe they should be banned from being mentioned at all. Dogsey should not have anything to do with the horrible things. If you promote them, you are banned.

They are dog abuse, glorified as a training aid.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Correction- nearly all of the first 10 threads are about zapping, prodding, spraying or CMing your dog
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I know what you are saying guys - but censorship just doesn't work. That just drives people to places where they are talked about... and are talked about in a completely different way to how they might get talked about here

I think the last few shock collar threads will be pivotal in the shaping of people's opinions. Don't ever underestimate yours - people (esp nubes) look up to them, they're far more influential than I think many of you realise...
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It seems a lot of shock collar talk has moved over to someone's personal thread (do we really want that? ) so think it's ok to start a general electric shock collar discussion here.

If you've made points in any other thread feel free to make them here too - just make sure nobody in particular is mentioned.
It was always going to happen. IMO partial bans never work and, I imagine, are a nightmare to enforce.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I just worry that having nearly all the top threads in training about outdated, barbaric practises, you are sending out the wrong message.

Can they not be put in some subsection, away from all other training threads?

I understand what you are saying about educating people about using these devices and methods, and they might go elsewhere to get info. I just don't think we need so many threads about them that's all. The latest one, really upset me to read
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >