Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 04:58 PM

Degus

Went to get some chin food today from a newish pet shop. Last time I went in the cages and rodents etc were all smart and looked well cared for. This time not so good.

There was a chin in a crap tiny cage and it was dirty. Two female degus in a biggish cage with two bits of wood platforms and a sort of hanging perch. That was it----a water bottle but no obvious food bowl/supply, Bare metal mesh bottom.

So now I have two female degus! The woman wouldn't catch them so I went and got Tassle to help me and she managed to reach up and hook them out. I had gone to a different shop and bought various bits but forgotton the water bottle---so the woman let me have it for free. I reckon they thought they'd never shift the degus, they look more or less full grown.

They are in the rodent room and the chin obviously knows they are there cause she has been calling for the last hour!.

Heigh ho---so much for no more littles. I'll get photos of them tomorrow.

rune
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
you need to make an official complaint if they were not kept in proper conditions, the two you have rescued from that horrible place will just be replaced with two more. I dont mean to make you feel bad, but if they dont have food please please report them to the local council who provide the pet shop licence and also the rspca.
Can we see some photos of your newbies? x
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Hope you do report them, as that is just not on, but so so glad they are with you! I love Degus and really hope to get two when we move....( can't add to my numbers at the moment or else they will have to move as well!!)
Look forward to pics!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I am going to do something about the chinchilla---the rabbits etc looked fine. I doubt anything will be done though, there was pet shop that was regularly reported and it never changed.

They had had food as it was in the tray at the bottom of the cage where it had fallen through. They have been there since before christmas so have been fed!

I know they will be replaced----thats why I steer clear of pet shops that sell animals----usually!

rune
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Congratulations on your new additions xxxxxxxx What have you called them? Xxxxxxx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Well done for rescuing them, not what you expected to go home with from shopping trip. I hope they all settle well n the pet shop get kick up the b***side if not keeping animals well Can't wait to see photo's
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Congratulations on your new additions xxxxxxxx What have you called them? Xxxxxxx
Still thinking about it.

They won't come out and play----very traumatised as yet.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Congratulations on the wee ones, am sure they will come out their shells in no time.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Nice that you have got two knew great pets!
However from a side note:

Never buy trough feeling sorry all your doing is helping the petshop buy a couple of more degus to keep in that cage its tough to ignore something like but you should never buy animals who kept in bad condition its like emotional blackmail because they know most people will feel sorry for them.

Best thing you can do as someone has really pointed out is report the petstore to the authorities.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Thank you but I am well over 50 years old and have had small animals since I was 8----I know all about c..p pet shos and c..p dog breeders!

Unfortunately I also care about the individual in front of me at any given time.

Judging from the conversation I had with the woman she is not that bright. I will check they are licensed and hopefully be able to sort something out on Monday.

Meanwhile the degus are a bit better off.

Strangely I was tempted before Christmas with three in the same shop---a male and 2 females. I didn't getb them as they looked as if they were in good accomodation with all the right things being done. The girl serving said they had come from the local college. When I asked today where the boy had gone the woman swore blind they had never had three and that they didn't come from the college. I KNOW there were three because I wondered if our vet would castrate the male if I had them. (he is good at gerbils now!).

Something about thec set up doesn't feel right.

rune
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >