register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Add prong/choke collars to the shock collar partial ban?
Add just PRONG collars to the ban 14 24.56%
Add just CHOKER chains/collars to the ban 1 1.75%
Add BOTH Prong & Choker collars/chains to the ban 36 63.16%
Don't care whether they are added or not 1 1.75%
No - don't add them to the ban 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Should prong and choke collars be added to the shock collar ban?

Do you think we should add Prong Collars and/or Choke Collars/Chains to the partial ban we have on shock collars?

Basically, that will mean they cannot be recommend or discussed in threads unless the thread starter specifically mentions them in the first post.

Choker chains/collars

These 'work' by tightening around the dogs neck as it pulls (not unlike strangling it) - choking - it. Hence the name. If the choke chain is made out of rope, they can also result in friction burns.

Most dog lovers consider the use of them cruel.

Prong collars

Prong collars, like choke chains also tighten when the dog pulls - but additionally have 'prongs' that dig into the dogs neck

Photos courtesy of Promarc

Please vote on the poll!

Please note this is a public poll - you can see who voted what by clicking here.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Any chance of having purely commercial users banned too?
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Do you think we should add Prong Collars and/or Choke Collars/Chains to the partial ban we have on shock collars?

Basically, that will mean they cannot be recommend or discussed in threads unless the thread starter specifically mentions them in the first post.

Choker chains/collars

These 'work' by tightening around the dogs neck as it pulls (not unlike strangling it) - choking - it. Hence the name. If the choke chain is made out of rope, they can also result in friction burns.

Prong collars

Prong collars, like choke chains also tighten when the dog pulls - but additionally have 'prongs' that dig into the dogs neck

Please vote on the poll!

Please note this is a public poll - you can see who voted what by clicking here.
defo agree with both banned and good idea by the way azz.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Any chance of having purely commercial users banned too?
pmsl another good idea
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Ban both!

What do people think about half-check collars? You know, where they tighten, but have a limit, ie: so as not to strangle the dog?
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Ban both!

What do people think about half-check collars? You know, where they tighten, but have a limit, ie: so as not to strangle the dog?
I use half checks on my pair but... they are adjusted so that they cannot tighten and strangle them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I use half checks for my GSDs because they have a huge ruff of fur. A flat collar simply doesn`t fit. They need a loose collar that sits behind the ruff, but that tightens to prevent them walking out of it if needed.
A half check should be the same fit as a flat collar (2 or 3 fingers loose) when the chain loop is fully tightened.
I didn`t vote against the choke because it does virtually the same as a slip lead or some show collars. It`s the handler that makes the check or slip lead cruel, not the design - JMO.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Ban both!

There are some dogs that they make sense for---especially if they have a wide neck and narrow head.

A couple of mine wear the lupine 'combi collar' ones although they are rarely walked on leads and the collars come off over their heads easily----all my dogs have very loose collars.

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Ban both!

I have martingale/combi collars on a couple and like to have one on Zeff occasionally - just in case he has a panic (happens a lot less now ) I am very careful not to so even at its tightest point - I can still get a finger between the collar and the neck.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I use half checks for my GSDs because they have a huge ruff of fur. A flat collar simply doesn`t fit. They need a loose collar that sits behind the ruff, but that tightens to prevent them walking out of it if needed.
A half check should be the same fit as a flat collar (2 or 3 fingers loose) when the chain loop is fully tightened.
I didn`t vote against the choke because it does virtually the same as a slip lead or some show collars. It`s the handler that makes the check or slip lead cruel, not the design - JMO.

I voted for just the prong collar for the very same reason
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
[/B]I voted for just the prong collar for the very same reason
Its not an outright ban though? Just one that means the article cannot be suggested unless mentioned in the first post? So pictures from showing/working with slips on would be fine.
(that was my thoughts anyway?)
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »