Our sister sites
Our sister sites
yeterama
New Member!
Male 

23-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Housebreaking troubles with my 13 months old beagle

Hello everyone!

I am having issues dealing with housebreaking problems.

She doesn't housebreak if she is sleeping on the ground.
But if I give her something to sleep on like a towel or bed she likes to pee on it and have no problems sleeping on it.
I can't catch her on the act to correct the behavior as she does it during the night.
I am certain that it isn't a physical condition as she can keep it from 8am till 8pm when I take her to office with me.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by yeterama View Post
Hello everyone!

I am having issues dealing with housebreaking problems.

She doesn't housebreak if she is sleeping on the ground.
But if I give her something to sleep on like a towel or bed she likes to pee on it and have no problems sleeping on it.
I can't catch her on the act to correct the behavior as she does it during the night.
I am certain that it isn't a physical condition as she can keep it from 8am till 8pm when I take her to office with me.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
interesting, i have heard so many stories re beagles and toilet training probs.

when you toilet trained from puppyhood did you use towels/ pads/ paper instead of taking her out regularly throughout the day for toilet breaks?

do you do that now?
is she taken out before bedtime?
yeterama
New Member!
Male 

23-01-2011, 02:33 PM
when you toilet trained from puppyhood did you use towels/ pads/ paper instead of taking her out regularly throughout the day for toilet breaks?

do you do that now?
No I interrupted as fast I could and took her out to do her business and rewarded the behavior.

is she taken out before bedtime?
Yes normally before going to sleep myself around 11pm.
The other day I saw her bed wet at 2am. Just after few hours I took her out. And she was sleeping peacefully on it
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by yeterama View Post
No I interrupted as fast I could and took her out to do her business and rewarded the behavior.

from puppyhood?
and how often throughout the day?

Yes normally before going to sleep myself around 11pm.
The other day I saw her bed wet at 2am. Just after few hours I took her out. And she was sleeping peacefully on it
also, has she been vet checked for this?
yeterama
New Member!
Male 

24-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Vet didn't notice anything on routine controls.

Let me clear it out again, she only does it IF she got towel or bed to sleep on. Otherwise she behaves perfectly fine.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Will she sleep on a bed during the day? Does she do it then?

Presumably all the wee means the bedding is washed lots. What washing liquid do you use? Maybe there is something in the smell that is encouraging her to go?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:49 AM
If she has bedding presumably she is more comfortable when she goes to sleep & will sleep "deeper" / more soundly. What could be happening is that as she goes into a deep comfortable sleep her whole body relaxes inclding the bladder.

Some puppies bladders mature much quicker than others, some slower

Sometimes immature dogs will wet with excitement when greeting friends/other dogs, this problem usually corrects with age

If this is the case with your girl it should correct with maturity. It happened with our Katie & only when she went into a deep comfortanle sleep

They sleep on it because they are in a lovely deep happy sleep mode & dont realise they have did it.

At 13 months she is still relatively young . So long as your vet has checked her out & her health is otherwise ok it is just a case of waiting for her body/bladder to mature & she can "hold on" subconsciously (when asleep) until morning

Hope it wont be long