Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogstylin
New Member!
Male 

20-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Eliminating in crate

Hi there,
First post here and i skipped right to starting a thread due to our problem, ill fill out a profile and find the introduction forum soon.

I briefly searched for this problem but gave up as this is specific..

Heres the situations

We have a 14 week old Staffy pup that is going backwards in her house breaking. We have had her for 2 weeks now.

Up till now we have been taking her out after every meal, drink and every other hour, upon waking and going to bed. We ignore when she urinates if we dont catch her
in the act, when we do we would yell NO and take her outside and praise her when she goes and of course praise her to the moon when she goes outside.

This method worked perfectly with our other dog.

She seems to realize what she she should do when we take her out, she goes as soon as she gets outside.

She was doing great, her incidents were decreasing until the last few days. Now mistakes on the increase.
Today i was on the couch with and she looked right at me and squats and urinates.

A little later I opened her crate and it reeked of ammonia and the bedding was wet. Her bedding has been dry and i changed it 4 days ago.

Since this breaks the common rule that dogs wont eliminate in their crate im not sure what to do.

I plan on not giving her any water after 6 pm, maybe wake up half way though the night to let her out??

I can follow just about any schedule to fix the problem as I have a month of work. My wife and are are committed to doing what we have to do it get her on track. Just not sure the best approach..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Just a few things I can think of, firstly, a dog should not go without water at any time unless for medical reasons. It can be detrimental to their health. If given dry food it is also important that they have access to water.
If you are planning on getting up during the night for a pee run, then that maybe all that is required.
Your dog is 14 weeks, basically still a puppy and full bladder control could not be expected to be gotten at that age.
As for the bedding, as painful as it can be if you have at least two sets of bedding and if found wet to change them over if she does pee on the bedding. Sometimes it can be daily.
Another thought it the possibility of a urinary tract infection and your dog may need to be checked over by a vet and a urine sample taken to rule it out as a cause.
I would just like to stress the point about the water, your pup should not go without water at any time.
I hope things improve, sometimes it is a case of one step forward two steps back and your dog still being so young it will not be a perfect outcome until later.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Hello Buck and welcome to Dogsey
Originally Posted by Dogstylin View Post
Hi there,
We have a 14 week old Staffy pup that is going backwards in her house breaking. We have had her for 2 weeks now.

Up till now we have been taking her out after every meal, drink and every other hour, upon waking and going to bed. We ignore when she urinates if we dont catch her
in the act, when we do we would yell NO and take her outside and praise her when she goes and of course praise her to the moon when she goes outside.
Ignore any accidents, yelling at your dog for any reason is unhelpful and can be confusing, it may also make her reluctant to relieve herself in your presence. Better to take her out calmly and quietly and praise and reward her with a treat (like a morsel of chicken) making going outside a rewarding experience she will wish to repeat. in addition to the above your puppy also need taking out after play/excitement/when she 'circles' and sniffs the ground and about every hour to begin with.
She seems to realize what she she should do when we take her out, she goes as soon as she gets outside.

She was doing great, her incidents were decreasing until the last few days. Now mistakes on the increase.
Today i was on the couch with and she looked right at me and squats and urinates.
it sounds as though she may have a urinary tract infection, I would have her checked by a vet.
Any change in behaviour needs investigation and the vet is a good place to start.
A little later I opened her crate and it reeked of ammonia and the bedding was wet. Her bedding has been dry and i changed it 4 days ago.
the fresh urine of a healthy puppy should not smell, again an indication there may be an infection here also it is best to check bedding regularly every day for accidents and to clean the soiled area and bedding throughly with an non ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder. Leaving a soiled bed will encourage your puppy to continue soiling . Make sure your puppy has access to fresh water at all times or the urine may become concentrated and irritate the bladder leading to increased urination and even medical conditions.
Since this breaks the common rule that dogs wont eliminate in their crate im not sure what to do.

I can follow just about any schedule to fix the problem as I have a month of work. My wife and are are committed to doing what we have to do it get her on track. Just not sure the best approach
dogs don't usually soil in their beds if they can avoid it, however if a puppy is desperate to go it will have no alternative but to soil in the crate.
How much time each day is your puppy spending in the crate.
When you take your puppy out is is a good idea to take her for a short walk to allow her to sniff where other dogs have passed, this will encourage her to relieve herself then you can treat/praise her. Gradually phase out the treats by giving randomly then not at all but always give praise.
Dogstylin
New Member!
Male 

20-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Woke up and she had eliminated in her crate again.
It was a fresh crate with fresh bedding.

We monitored her water intake and she went out before going to bed.

Off to the vet to today to check for a UTI.
I wouldnt be surprised as we have a 7 1/2 month old that licks her incessantly when they play.

Got the message too, no with holding water, no yelling no.
Dogstylin
New Member!
Male 

20-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Thinking about it im pretty sure she has a UTI,at times when she goes out she squats and trys to eliminate but only a drop or nothing comes out
Dogstylin
New Member!
Male 

21-01-2011, 12:52 PM
No UTI,

If she eliminates in the crate again tonight ill be looking for options. Im thinking gate a small room and paper train her.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:21 PM
What's the last time she's let out at night? If it's 10 o'clock or so, then even if you get up at 6.00 am. then that's 8 hours she has to hold it.

When mine was thing young, I found letting her out as late as possible, even if it meant getting out of bed to do it, if I was awake at midnight, then she'd get let out to reduce those hours.

I always had to get up at 5.30 am. though to let her out from her crate and we'd rush straight outside as soon as I opened the door, flattening me in the process every time! I have to say, she never once wet inside her crate.

During the day, I found that taking her out every half an hour whether she wanted to go or not, she would do something for me out there.

You have to remember also, some breeders have already done a very good job for you and half trained your puppy, whereas others, especially if they've been brought up in an outside kennel or similar, well, they haven't really bothered have they. I was one of the lucky ones, so it made my life easier. Good luck, as time goes on, she'll be able to hold it better overnight.
Dogstylin
New Member!
Male 

22-01-2011, 07:08 AM
She was in the crate for about 7 hours a night.
A bit too long but odd that she started going eliminating.
Is it too late now, for the crate? She views it as an ok place to go. The last 2 nights it smelled of ammonia which means she is going a long time before morning.
The vet said to just gate of a room and paper train her.
Exactly right about the breeder.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Dogstylin View Post
She was in the crate for about 7 hours a night.
A bit too long but odd that she started going eliminating.
Is it too late now, for the crate? She views it as an ok place to go. The last 2 nights it smelled of ammonia which means she is going a long time before morning.
The vet said to just gate of a room and paper train her.Exactly right about the breeder.
That's ok, but I'd then be worried about her chewing anything electrical overnight, she's a lot safer at that age in a crate, but then if she's a good girl, you could try it? Personally, I found the crate actually helped me with my puppy toilet training, but then as I said she never wet in there. I think if you are going to stick with the crate, you've got to elimiinate ALL those amonia smells, otherwise it will just encourage her to go in it! Don't ask me how coz I don't know! I think we de-crated ours at around 5 months old when we knew she wasn't a chewer and could hold it overnight.

Sorry I can't be more help. I have had puppies in the past that I've just trained with the paper by the kitchen door and it worked.
Dogstylin
New Member!
Male 

22-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I should have mentioned i used not only fresh bedding but a fresh crate! I clean with the Anti Marking spray bought at the vets.
Going to try one more night with the crate since im up late watching football.
Not to worry about chords as we plan on gating a bathroom.

Thank you for your advice, she will come good. She know why we take her out, just needs the connection not to go inside. Patience and time.

Cheers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >