Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Anyone got a brick wall handy!

Grrrrrrrr
My daughter wants to dye her hair,that's fine she is 15 now,brought the colour
But she is refusing to do a skin test and has the know it all attitude,so we have a stand off now.I refuse to do it unless she does a skin test and she is throwing a strop and said she will take the colour around her friends to do it for her
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:35 AM
This may be me not being a parent and all - but I say do it - if she has an allergic reaction then she learns from her mistake - you afterall being the mum (always right!)

This is how I learn't to trust my Mum's say I now ask her about everything! And if I'm sick I won't take advice from anyone else but her.

What brand is it, I know that with me the German (I can't spell or pronounce it) one burns my scalp, Clairol tinges but isn't painful and any other just itches. I think they all do something like that but it's afterwards if it carries on that there's a problem..?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Grrrrrrrr
My daughter wants to dye her hair,that's fine she is 15 now,brought the colour
But she is refusing to do a skin test and has the know it all attitude,so we have a stand off now.I refuse to do it unless she does a skin test and she is throwing a strop and said she will take the colour around her friends to do it for her :roll:
Then let her get on with it.

Sometimes you just have to stand back and allow them, to "learn" for themselves
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
I've never done skin tests but I'd perhaps just point her in the direction of some photos or accounts of bad reactions - I've seen photos of someone's face massively swollen from an allergic reaction! I know that my skin isn't that sensitive though and I've never had a problem, other than the Shwartzkopf one wrecking my hair - luckily I'd only dyed part of it but I had tons of it breaking off every time I brushed it, I'd wake up with dozens of broken hair strands etc. so if she treasures her looks and her locks, that might scare her into a skin test.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I've never done skin tests but I'd perhaps just point her in the direction of some photos or accounts of bad reactions - I've seen photos of someone's face massively swollen from an allergic reaction! I know that my skin isn't that sensitive though and I've never had a problem, other than the Shwartzkopf one wrecking my hair - luckily I'd only dyed part of it but I had tons of it breaking off every time I brushed it, I'd wake up with dozens of broken hair strands etc. so if she treasures her looks and her locks, that might scare her into a skin test.
Thats the one! I only use it if they have a colour no one else has..
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys,
It sort of makes me feel a tad irresponsible though
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Let her do it. We all need to make mistakes to learn!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys,
It sort of makes me feel a tad irresponsible though
Well I can see where you're coming from but I'm sure you learn't by your own mistakes - if anyone was a fully responsible parent - the child would never grow up, never have a life of it's own and wouldn't know right from wrong.

You've advised her and she's getting to that age where she feels she can take a step away from you and that means making her own mistakes.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks,
I know she has to learn by her own mistakes I suppose if I wasn't a fully qualified hairdresser it would make things a little easier,but having seen the mistakes teens have made with there hair and the allergic reactions some have had it makes me wary,the only response I am getting from Lizzie is it's my hair,I don't care and I want it done by thursday morning for school

She must have put on her mardy pants this morning cos she has just thrown a fit over the old dustpan and brush,she can't find it and wants to clean out her pigs and rabbit,I told her to use the other one and she has stormed off to her room

Roll on thursday! Back to school LOL
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks,
I know she has to learn by her own mistakes I suppose if I wasn't a fully qualified hairdresser it would make things a little easier,but having seen the mistakes teens have made with there hair and the allergic reactions some have had it makes me wary,the only response I am getting from Lizzie is it's my hair,I don't care and I want it done by thursday morning for school

She must have put on her mardy pants this morning cos she has just thrown a fit over the old dustpan and brush,she can't find it and wants to clean out her pigs and rabbit,I told her to use the other one and she has stormed off to her room

Roll on thursday! Back to school LOL
Nicole went back to school today.

Now you didn't mention you were a hairdresser! - Now I see where you're coming from. But I do think that it is safer you doing it without her doing a skin test than her getting a friend to do it without a skin test - at least you'll have some experience of what to do if she does have a reaction.

Oh and the "If it burns, stings, makes your hair fall out...etc happens don't blame me" might be a worthy sentence to throw out there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >