Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 11:28 AM

Need some help guys!!! Not another kibble question

Hi guys

Well I've had a few problems with Luna lately...

I'll list them here:

Gass (she's constantly farting, and they are so bad, that you have to leave the room)
Mushy poo (still only 2 times a day, but almost non-pickupable)
Warm earflaps and smelly ears (not itchy)
Very bad breath (teeth and gums are fine)

We had the bad breath problem before, as I fed: http://www.henne-pet-food.dk/engl/index.htm (products - Kronch Basic)... It got better after I switched food, but never really went completely away.

Untill friday night I've fed her: http://www.hillspet.com/media/WEURG/...prodKey_en.pdf

Now we have all of the above mentioned problems, and I phoned my vet saturday and told her about this. She said: "It seems Luna is having problem digesting her food, so I would like you to try Hills r/d (it's £54 for 14 kg) and atleast use one bag"

I told her, I couldnt affort this, atleast not untill payday. So she suggested I give Luna boiled rice (have found some "nature" rice), fishmeatdumblings and yogurt.

But (of course ) I forgot to ask how much I'm supposed to give Luna per meal of this... So my 1. question is: How much rice and meat should I give her per meal?

I must honestly say I really cant afford this Hills r/d and dont really wanna feed it (dont get me wrong, if there's no other solution and this is the best of the best, then I'll do it, money's not keeping me from giving Luna the best).. So here's my 2. question: How long can/should I feed her this rice/fish (or maybe boiled chicken??) ??

And are there any other choices than Hills r/d???

I've emailed Burns, but seeing as its sunday I havent got an answer yet.. So I'm still waiting for them to return, cos I dont honestly know wot to do now... Shall I try yet another kibble brand (if I cant get Burns to ship food to Denmark) or shall I go raw??
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 11:36 AM
well i would feed the chicken or fish and rice for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. If it does, u kno its the food.
Did the vet say she might have a medical problem cos she cant digest food properly?

with amounts, do it by eye really. But generally id say one chicken breast cut up with a cup or 2 of rice. Chicken is meant for flavour and rice for bulk i believe.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny
well i would feed the chicken or fish and rice for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. If it does, u kno its the food.
Did the vet say she might have a medical problem cos she cant digest food properly?

with amounts, do it by eye really. But generally id say one chicken breast cut up with a cup or 2 of rice. Chicken is meant for flavour and rice for bulk i believe.
No the vet didnt say if it was anything medical, she just said that Luna has a sensitive stomach

Uhm Jenny... how many grams is a cup??? I've bought some chicken breast, but they are pretty big.. atleast 100 grams each...
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:02 PM
erm, well a mug full.... like ur coffee cup..
do it by eye, thats wot i do....
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Yikes I've been giving her loads too much then... There cant be much in a coffeecup..

Oh dear, fat labby coming up nah only kidding
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:19 PM
J, I know that you have had Luna on other brands before, like Nutro etc...Was she always like this on everything she has had??

I'm not sure how much chicken and rice to feed exactly either??...I do it by eye too, like as much that looks about right for them if you know what I mean, I have always wondered though!

Not to worry you even more though, but rice never actually seems to help anything with my two when they have upset tummies.

Your right the food your vet suggests is really pricey. I like to give my two the best I can but that is really expensive to say the least. You have to be careful if it is a brand your vet happens to sell because of course they want you to buy it from them, it may not be the only brand that will help her, just one they are pushing to you becuase they sell it, do you know what I mean??

Can you remember one brand that she has done alright on in the past at all??
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
J, I know that you have had Luna on other brands before, like Nutro etc...Was she always like this on everything she has had??

I'm not sure how much chicken and rice to feed exactly either??...I do it by eye too, like as much that looks about right for them if you know what I mean, I have always wondered though!

Not to worry you even more though, but rice never actually seems to help anything with my two when they have upset tummies.

Your right the food your vet suggests is really pricey. I like to give my two the best I can but that is really expensive to say the least. You have to be careful if it is a brand your vet happens to sell because of course they want you to buy it from them, it may not be the only brand that will help her, just one they are pushing to you becuase they sell it, do you know what I mean??

Can you remember one brand that she has done alright on in the past at all??
Well actually she DID good on the one she had here the last time (Hills NB) Which is why I changed to that...

And as a puppy she did good on Nutro Large Breed puppy.. But if she had probs with Nutro chicken&rice and Nutro lamb&rice, I doubt that Nutro LB will be any better....

But apart from that... nope... she hasnt been good (on all points at the same time) on any dogfood...

My vet only sells Hills...

I'm thinking it might be corn and wheat who are the big sinners here.... If so, I dont really have many choices of dogfood... Here in Denmark anyway...

There's been corn in all the kibble we've tried, and the last one had corn as first ingrediens...

Its all this adjusting of food that is keeping me from going on raw food.. I'm feeling like I loose control u know.. Up untill now, I've used the kitchen scale, and meassured 150 grams... And that's it.. But now I'm going to have to "feel my way" Scary stuff
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:43 PM
carrots are good for bad breath j, i give mine a bit of raw carrot each every day.regarding the food soz but ive noo idea!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Carrots... Ah I might try her on that

Its okay Sally, I'm just driving myself mad here

Nothing new in that, is there???
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:48 PM
lol noooo j , but i was ike that with my first dog ben!!i was such a worrier too
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »