Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Clicker training

I have been doing some clicker training with my foster girlie and I'm enjoying it even more than her. I have got some books with loads of ideas for things to do and tricks, but would be grateful for any advice/ideas as I am a novice at this. I have ordered a target stick. So far in 3 short sessions she has mastered:

1.the idea
2. sit
3. down

Many thanks
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I have been doing some clicker training with my foster girlie and I'm enjoying it even more than her. I have got some books with loads of ideas for things to do and tricks, but would be grateful for any advice/ideas as I am a novice at this. I have ordered a target stick. So far in 3 short sessions she has mastered:

1.the idea
2. sit
3. down

Thanks
Spin is a good first thing to do, lure her with food so she turns her head...click...gradually increase how far she goes til she is spinning round, don't introduce the word command until she is doing it consistently well.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Spin is a good first thing to do, lure her with food so she turns her head...click...gradually increase how far she goes til she is spinning round, don't introduce the word command until she is doing it consistently well.

Good idea, she'll love that!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Good idea, she'll love that!
You will too...I did! It was one of my first clicker trained things...once she has nailed it one way, get her going the other way too
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:41 PM
You will too...I did! It was one of my first clicker trained things...once she has nailed it one way, get her going the other way too
It's addictive isn't it? I wish that I tried it before. I've got 3 willing guinea pigs here!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Cheers, all bookmarked!!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 12:45 AM
One thing about luring, that I really messed up with as a novice... I used it exclusively, so Oliver depends on the lures. I have to re-train all the tricks I did with luring now. I wish I had read more about it before going ahead. free-shaping is much better at getting the dog to think for itself, with cleaner cues at the end.

With a spin, I would just stand and wait, when she turns her head, click that, then wait for her to do it again... you'll actually see her thinking, it's hilarious! It's faster to teach with luring, but I personally like free-shaping way better in the end!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
One thing about luring, that I really messed up with as a novice... I used it exclusively, so Oliver depends on the lures. I have to re-train all the tricks I did with luring now. I wish I had read more about it before going ahead. free-shaping is much better at getting the dog to think for itself, with cleaner cues at the end.

With a spin, I would just stand and wait, when she turns her head, click that, then wait for her to do it again... you'll actually see her thinking, it's hilarious! It's faster to teach with luring, but I personally like free-shaping way better in the end!
That's an interesting point, cheers!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
There are pros and cons to both lure and free shaping.

The main thing to consider is the purpose of your training.

If it is just for fun and amusement then the latter is fine, if you want to compete then most of us like to move things along a bit.

When I teach I ensure that food is only used a maximum of 3 times (whilst luring) then the lure can be used without the food in the hand and then of course the lure is turned into a hand signal.

This is why a lot of people think training with food is inefficient, it is not, it is the inefficiency of the people training that is the problem..........

Hopefully the links I posted will help you avoid some common errors although I cannot stress enough how much better it is to be taught the basics in person.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >