Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Strange

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

I bought some kidney's for Sadie and Louie to try tonight...whilst my mum - blood makes me feel sick and raw meats..was cutting it up I put a cup full of biscuits in each dish and then they only had one cut up into small pieces between them, they were sniffing there air and wagging their tails as if they'd never been fed.

Now Louie isn't allowed dog meat but if he gets the chance - he will dive straight into the dish. Sadie eats meat and Louie's biscuits so I naively thought - oh they'll love this...

Sadie has been taking out the bits of kidney and putting it all over our kitchen floor making it look like a murder scene and just eating round it. Louie has eaten a little bit but only cos I got Sadie to go near him and he thought she was going to take it off him - although his tongue was going as if he wanted to get it back up.

I tried to get them to take it as a treat out my mum's hand, I warmed it up a little in the oven (warm food always smells nicer dont it) still nothing - they refuse to eat it!

But they are being totally weird - is this normal for them - I expected Sadie to be a bit funny being older and quite set in her ways but not Louie..

Good job my Mum likes kidney's she can have the rest of the £3.00's worth! Ungrateful animals
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Some dogs do not like the texture of raw kidney.

The best way IMHO to introduce this is to chop it up very finely (even whiz through processor) and add to mince.
Then you gradually make the pieces bigger and bigger.

Was it lamb, ox or pork?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Kiki had a spate of being fussy with liver - as suggested above, I had to chop it up into little bits and mix with other food. She seemed to get over it though and will eat it raw in large pieces again now. They're not majorly keen on raw kidney either, I tend to put a little olive oil and whack them in the microwave, yummy
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:39 PM
oo Ill have it! I LOVE kidney

I thought all dogs would like raw meat and offal but Flint doesnt like raw chicken at all. I havent tried him with anything else. Simba loves anything including raw chicken so dont understand whats up with flint lol

Maybe louie and Sadie will like something else?
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:42 PM
My 3 will eat anything and everything ...Mollys favorite is cat s***
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:49 PM
It was chopped up into tiny pieces - just a tiny bit bigger than the biscuits - I've put some gravy left over from my chippy dinner - yum - and that seems to have gotten Louie a bit more interested but I reckon he's still just eating the biscuits - not sure whether it was lamb or pork - I just asked the butcher if he had any meat I could give the dogs - and he gave me kidneys.

Like I said I expected it from Sadie - being older but not from Louie - he's normally in any meat he can get hold off - which is why he is banned from the kitchen if you're going in the fridge where cooked meats are

I would put it in the microwave but they're in metal dishes and I'm not picking through biscuits either..I love my dogs but I am not risking my own dinner for there's - I did stick it in the oven til it had heated up a little

I've just stuck them in the kitchen - if they dont eat it they can starve - I'm not fanny-ing about Sadie'll be fed later anyway, she's like Six Dinner Sid except only two meals Louie however can wait til morning - he has a bone
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Try freezing it, my dog will eat liver and kidney frozen but not 'fresh' when its raw. Or blanch it, freezing works best with mine though.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2010, 06:13 PM
When I tryed liver for the first time Muppet didn't touch it, the same with lungs. What I did was pour some boileing water from the kettle on them & leave for a few minuets to cool (this would have slightly cooked the outer edge of the liver & lungs as well as making them smell more) This got him interested & he ate them. Less than a week later he was eating them totaly raw.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know if dogs would be surprised by this too but if ever you have eaten raw liver or kidney it has a 'crunchy texture' along with the function and odour/taste.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I think I've given up! It was just a trial - I'm not looking to moving them onto it just yet anyway, just give them a taster. I'll leave it down and take them out for a game of fetch later and see if that makes them hungry enough - if not maybe Sadie's new little charge Missy may have some.

I tried - thats the best I can do
Sadie will eat - not that we let her - frozen sausages..I was cooking breakfast once and dropped one and before I had chance to pick it up she'd taken it away and already started chomping on it...May try again next week with frozen kidney or different meat..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >