Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:01 PM

Ever got a trick wrong?

It's so funny someone (OH I'm guessing) taught Louie "Cats" and if you say it in a living room he looks for a clock and stares at it

Anyone else got a dog that gets the trick wrong but amuses you?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes.
We use the "Go free" command to release the dogs from the last command given. All well and grand till Elroy came along. He was taught it mainly from sit and wait getting let off lead at the park.

So now, to him, "Go free" means run around like a looney and bark like mad.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 09:49 AM
When I was trying to teach selkie gently as a pup she just copied my facial expression and pulled her lips back in a big smile so we changed that to smile

Wish I never taught kismet to open the back door, now she does it all the time if she's hot or just to lie in the doorway and look at the snow... Brrrrrrrr

pharaoh knows sit paw other paw lie down... It's all the tricks he knows. If you have a treat and you say anything other than sit paw other paw lie down he will just sit then give paw other paw and lie down then stand up and repeat till he has the treat... It would be funny if he didn't look so worried and earnest
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
When I was trying to teach selkie gently as a pup she just copied my facial expression and pulled her lips back in a big smile so we changed that to smile

Wish I never taught kismet to open the back door, now she does it all the time if she's hot or just to lie in the doorway and look at the snow... Brrrrrrrr

pharaoh knows sit paw other paw lie down... It's all the tricks he knows. If you have a treat and you say anything other than sit paw other paw lie down he will just sit then give paw other paw and lie down then stand up and repeat till he has the treat... It would be funny if he didn't look so worried and earnest
Awww poor Pharaoh! What a shame Hope he gets the treat anyway
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Awww bless poor Pharoah... Benjie doesnt like to get soemthing wrong and he will just bark at you until you give him the treat LOL
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Just after Toby learnt "paw" a friend came into the office and we told Toby to "show him your new trick"..at which point Toby hurtled across the room, took a flying leap and headbutted him in the .....

.....well it amused us anyway! I wanted to teach him to do it on command but my OH wouldn't agree to be the practice dummy
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Just after Toby learnt "paw" a friend came into the office and we told Toby to "show him your new trick"..at which point Toby hurtled across the room, took a flying leap and headbutted him in the .....

.....well it amused us anyway! I wanted to teach him to do it on command but my OH wouldn't agree to be the practice dummy
BOOO! he's no fun!!! get one of those blow up dolls I'm sure Toby would find that alright - although if you happened upon a policeman - I dont think you should say you taught it him
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I taught one of mine to pull the curtains and to help me take my socks off. I had to unemploy him for both tasks as with increased familiarity came increased enthusiasm and my socks were threatening to be full of holes and my curtains were threatening to bring the curtain pole down with them.

On another occasion, a long time ago, we were competing in obedience and doing the recall. Talaq was sat nicely, stayed there as I walked away, stayed steady, came immediately I called him on the judges's instruction, sat close and straight in front, looking into my eyes, ready for his finish...............then sat up straight, perfectly balanced, with front paws neatly folded on his chest in a perfect "beg" .

I had stupidly started training him to "say please" i.e the " beg" position ( I just don't like using that word for it), the week before the competition and being the smart, obliging little shepherd that he was, he decided I had taken long enough to instruct him and so he anticipated, and what had he been asked to do from a sit in front during the previous week.......?

Everyone laughed, including me, the judge, the steward and the audience, and he did do it very, very neatly.

I now think a lot further ahead as to how things may develop when I teach tricks
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Parker used to do obedience,agility and heelwork to music classes. Once when doing a sit stay in obedience class he decided to start waving his paw in the air. He did look funny!

He also took part in an agility competition at a dog show we went to and during the bit where you have to do a sit-stay for 5 seconds (this was on a bale of straw) he sat up and begged-the audience erupted. I am sure it is because he is Irish-a bit of a clown!

Aparrently the Irish are renowned for being either clowns or fighters-Cherry is the fighter and Parker (fortunately) is the clown.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Cherry doesn't get tricks wrong but she has a very funny habit of exact timing in "talking" to people in her Kerry way of roo-rahs etc.

Once when I met my husband at his workplace (YMCA) with Cherry, a resident saw the dog and said to her "You look just like my ex-wife"! She "replied "AHHROOO!" ending with a shriek, just as if she was answering back!

Last week a Chinese man was admiring my dogs and he asked me if they were related to each other. Just as I replied Cherry went "Ahroo-ahrro -rah!" and it was just as if she was saying "Not likely-do you think I am related to HIM!!"

He did laugh!