Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pixie1965
New Member!
Male 

05-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Advice needed please

Hello all, i have been lucky enough to own a beutiful staffy cross bitch for 6 years now and she is much loved. My self and my wife are in full time employment so she spends quite a bit of time on her own, this in its self is not a problem as she is excellent and we take her for a good walk on our return. To give her some company and stop her being lonely in these hours we have recently got her a wee friend in the shape of a shiney new beutiful brindle staffy puppy. Here in lays the problem quila (our 7 year old ) wont have anything to do with stella ( the pup ), she ups and leaves if stella comes anywhere near even snaps at her. Now i understand she is obviosly jelous but we are consiously fussing quila as much if not more than stella so as she won't feel left out, its just the pup is desperate to interact with quila and she is having none of it. If anyone can give us a little advice as to how we can softern the blow to quila and help her accept stella into the family.

Dave
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I`m going to be honest here. If you are both out all day you have a problem. A pup should not be left alone for any length of time - especially with another dog who doesn`t like her.
I would have gone for an older dog from a Rescue and walked them together for a while so they could make friends before introducing the new dog to the house.
Is there any way the pup can be returned to the breeder and you maybe get an older dog - a neutered male preferably? (Sorry)
The only thing I can suggest is that you leave the pup with a member of the family or a dog sitter. You will, however, have a problem when the pup reaches sexual maturity and may need to separate them again when the hormones kick in.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm sure you will find that once the pup is old enough to go on walks with your older dog she will be accepted more. In the meantime, I would continue as you are doing but make sure the pup is safely crated when you are not there. You do need someone to go in during the day as it is not a good idea to leave a young pup for that length of time.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
But you can`t crate a puppy for 7 or 8 hours and they both work full time. While a pup is shut up it`s not learning and developing. I understand that it is necessary to shut a pup in while you go shopping but all day in a small cage is just cruel, surely?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, I agree - and that's why I added that someone should be going in during the day. I'm sure most of us have had existing dogs becoming grumpy when a new puppy is introduced but, in my experience, is doesn't last long. I would never leave a new puppy loose with older dogs anyway, however they appear to be getting on, even for a short time.
pixie1965
New Member!
Male 

05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi, thankyou for your reply's the idea of returning stella to the breeder is not an option as she has already won our hearts, and i didn't quite explain my self correctly as i personally work locally and return through the day to tend to the pup and quila and when we are not able to be here during the day my in laws are a few doors down and are happy to call periodically through the day. thankyou for your reply fivedogpam perhaps a little reasurance was what we needed, we dont wish to crate her but that said we do segregate them when we are not in the house ( quila has upstairs and stella has the lounge)