View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dizzi Dawni
New Member!
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Canine dementia - desperate for any advice please (update @ post 26)

Hi all,
I'm new here & hope I'm doing this right.
I was hoping someone might be able to share any advice or experiences of senile dementia.
I'm at my wits end. My gorgeous Simba has been diagnosed with dementia this week, & it seems there is no hope for her. She is a medium sized mixed breed who was 15 yesterday, & I've had her since we picked her up from the re-homing centre at the age of 6 weeks.
In the last 3 years she's been operated on for a ruptured cruciate, had 3 tumours removed, & a toe amputated. About 10 months ago she became incontinent, which we put down to old age, & so bought a carpet cleaner. Then she developed a huge inoperable tumour on the muscle of her hind leg, which hindered her mobility a little but wasn't causing any pain. She also had a nystagmus which made her lose her balance for a couple of weeks, & the cause was never established. Over the last 2 months her behaviour has changed dramatically. She no longer acknowledges us at all, in fact I don't think she knows who we are. She only eats if we hand feed her, & she has recently lost 5kg. She has an obsessive thirst & seems to forget she's just had a bowl full of water & keeps going to get more. When Simba goes out into the garden to pee, she forgets why she's out there & stares into space until we can encourage her back in, where she will often pee within seconds. Now she has got her days & nights mixed up, sleeping all day & pacing round in a very distressed state during the evening. It's so upsetting to see, we just don't seem to be able to comfort her. Our vet has said we really have reached the stage that we should put Simba to sleep, & soon,& I know that's probably the right thing to do, but I'm terrified. I just can't see how I can do it. I told him I wanted to try medication & he agreed to give us 5 days of Vivitonin which should help increase the blood supply to her brain & help with the confusion but there's been no improvement yet. Today I've also ordered some Aktivait on the internet. I know I'm clutching at straws... has anyone any experiences of either of these products & whether they helped at all? I'd appreciate all your thoughts & advice. Thank you so much, Dawn
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Dawn,

I am sorry to say that I agree with your vet, I know you probably want a miracle to keep your gorgeous girl with you, and thats because you love her with all your heart. BUt she is telling you its time for her to go, and in fact if she isnt really with it, she has probably already gone,

I think deep in your heart and head you know that. YOu can give her a gift now and that is to let her go.

(((((HUGs)))))
Dizzi Dawni
New Member!
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi Brundog,

You're right, I know. So is my vet, & my husband. I'm just so scared that there is something out there that could help her & we've missed it. So stupid I know. Thank you so much for talking to me.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh Dawn, my heart really goes out to you because you sound to be the very best of caring owners. I understand how much you love Simba and cannot bear to think of letting her go, but perhaps the memories of the good times will help you to realise that the time is coming when you need to let her go.

You have brought her through all manner of trials and tribulations, and cannot be faulted - just don't give yourself cause for regret in the future by trying to hang on just that little bit too long.

Be guided by your vet and your own instincts, - we all know what you are going through with this.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I feel for you .
Dizzi Dawni
New Member!
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Murf & Bitkin,

Your words have me in tears, & are a real comfort, thank you xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dizzi Dawni View Post
Hi Brundog,

You're right, I know. So is my vet, & my husband. I'm just so scared that there is something out there that could help her & we've missed it. So stupid I know. Thank you so much for talking to me.
Sorry to have been so blunt, but I can hear your desperation and totally understand it, but the good thing about being human and loving our animals is that we can do the very best for them, and you have done that her whole life so you need to keep doing that.

I have tears for you and wish you the strength to guide your girl to Rainbow Bridge.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi sweetheart. I'm so very sorry to hear of this awful time you're having. My heart is so heavy reading your post. What a lovely caring person you are. I do feel that from what you have said that the time may have come to send your baby to Rainbow Bridge.
It's such a terrible decision to make...I had to make it myself with my greyhound a month ago. So very heartbreaking especially as you've had her from 6 weeks old. All I can tell you is that for me, once the decision was made, there was a sense of relief. It was like the awful burden of having to make the decision was over. Yes it's totally devastating but also the feeling that you have done the best thing for your girl helps.
The love you have shown her will be forever with her in her heart and this is the last selfless act we can do for our beautiful babies.
I'm so sorry for you as I, and many others on here know exactly how you are feeling right now. The tears are flowing down my face right now.
Have courage, have strength to know what you need to do is right.
I will be thinking of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2010, 02:30 AM
My Kali went on Vivitonin, and it did marvellous things for him, BUT he was not as old when he started on it. I'm afraid that it is perhaps past the stage at which Vivitonin could help. My Kali has passed on now, aged 15, in good nick until the end (BTW, he was a Border Collie).

Having lost two of my boys quite recently, I can offer my greatest sympathy, as I know where you're at.

Snorri
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 05:10 AM
My oldie was on Vivitonin at the end (13.1/2) but I'm afraid it made little difference to her.

I'm sorry to say that I too agree with your vet.

It's time, honey...... better a week too early than a minute too late.......

*Hugs*
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >