Our sister sites
Our sister sites
g4fne
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Llasa Apso Skin Problem ??

Hi Folks.

I've been lurking a while so thought about time i posted.

I have a 6 year old male Llasa Apso cross Papillion. He's a great dog but has suffered terribly with his skin over last 5 years or so.
First of all it was blamed on fleas. He has (as our other animals) always gets regular flea treatment and none of other pets have fleas, but it was insisted this was the case. It got to the situation where we stripped out all soft furnishings swapping carpets for wood, fabric sofa for leather, curtains for blinds and ditching cushions completely. None of this seem to make any difference
After this he was on anti biotics for a number of years to ease irritation, but it worries me the long term affect these had & that he when on them he is lethargic & generally not happy, but it did seem to supress the irritation for as long as was on them, but didnt take long for irritation to return following completion of each cycle of tablets.
We have now been using fuciderm gel in recent months which clears up the patches very quickly with no behavourial side affects, but again is a short term solution and its not long before biting/scratching again.

Even though our vet insists it is not a food intolerance, i have tried gluton & wheat free foods but with no success.

Has anyone got any solutions or advice in what to do next. The poor little fellas skin is red raw under his pits & he has started biting vigourously patches on his legs. Its seems so uncomfortabel for him & we are now at a loss of what to do.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Ask the vet for an allergy test both for diet and environment. Whatever the outcome, you will have at least ruled in or out some possible causes
g4fne
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Already approached Vet about this but they are reluctant because they starts at £200 and depending on how many tests done it increases up from there with no ceiling figure
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Goodness are they as much as that now? Have you tried ringing around the vets in your local area to make sure that that is the standard cost?
g4fne
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I havent, but looking online it does seem about right nowadays. Problem is thats the "starting" figure , so really want to try & do as much as i can for him as cant stretch to these potential prices
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Elimination diet (as previously suggested).

For a larger dog, I would usually suggest changing to Wafcol Salmon and Potato (although perhaps breaking it up or soaking well for a littley may work) for a month to see if that makes any difference (eliminates a great number of common allergens), ensuring that treats (often a culprit) are also eliminated from the diet for that time. If the skin gets better during that time, then introduce one food at a time.

On the environmental front, I'd suggest pavement bashing for a month to see if is possible that something in the fields (or areas/surfaces where you normally go) is causing the problem. Again, reintroducing slowly to see if the reaction comes back

Look through cleaning products. Try to use unscented and pure products where possible then reintroduce one at a time.

Think you can see where this is going
g4fne
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Elimination diet (as previously suggested).

For a larger dog, I would usually suggest changing to Wafcol Salmon and Potato (although perhaps breaking it up or soaking well for a littley may work) for a month to see if that makes any difference (eliminates a great number of common allergens), ensuring that treats (often a culprit) are also eliminated from the diet for that time. If the skin gets better during that time, then introduce one food at a time.

On the environmental front, I'd suggest pavement bashing for a month to see if is possible that something in the fields (or areas/surfaces where you normally go) is causing the problem. Again, reintroducing slowly to see if the reaction comes back

Look through cleaning products. Try to use unscented and pure products where possible then reintroduce one at a time.

Think you can see where this is going
Thankyou .... yep, i get the gist