Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 10:39 AM

People with dogs that chew, do you..

A, Move things that they chew out the way whilte you're not around.

B, Leave what ever it is there and clear it up afterwards.

Am I right in thinking A is the better option? Is this what other dog owners do?

Just that our viz has taken a liking to the sofa cushions taking the stuffing out which we then stuff back in. I'd like to move them out the way while we're not around but one member of our family does not because 'wants the house to look nice', she also says if we want the dogs in the living room we need to clear up more quickly, basically she doesn't like having to live around the dogs - she'd rather the dogs had to live around her if that makes sense.
But I don't leave the viz in the living room on his own or if I do and he's got stuffing every where I clear it up when I go back in the room.

So what do you do about chewing dogs?

Do you let them effect how you want your home to look by moving things out the way?

Thanks

Sophie
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Personally I crate my one dog wrecking team. It's a little hard to move the sofa, windowsills, stairs, doors and floors out of his way Nor am I prepared to buy new furniture on a regular basis or pay to replace bits of the house that he's decided to gnaw on. So I guess Rupert dictates how my house looks as I have a huge crate sitting in a corner of my dining room.

But yeah, I'd simply move the cushions out of his way if they were the only things he chewed and make sure he had something to occupy him such as a kong filled with food or his own stuffed toys to destuff.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I move things out of the way. Abra is becoming a 'teenager' so he's chewing everything and anything and if I don't move it I'll have no house left.

As for how my home looked well if I really wanted a show home I wouldn't have any animals. I tell people the dogs live here I have this room they get the rest lol
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Move things out of the way, otherwise things can get very expensive.....

Letting them chew/destroy things like cushions etc is a self-rewarding behaviour; and unless you catch them in the act, you can't tell them not to.

Can you restrict the dog/s to one room if you are out - where the least amount of damage can be caused?

How can a house look nice (as your housemate/family member wants) if the cushion stuffing is everywhere etc?

I see the need to tidy up around the dogs, or they will chew whatever they find - shoes, cushions, remote controls etc.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Crate when you're not there and place chewable items on the floor for him.

We have rawhides everywhere and chews everywhere for our dogs.

Also, teach the "leave" command for when your in the house, we had to because we have children come round to my parents, being that I share a dog with one of them (neighbours) we can now place a chocolate cake in front of our 6 month old pup and tell him leave and he'll come sit by us then stare at it.

I think the only thing Louie has chewed was a cheque and thats all. Sadie was a nightmare - she ripped all the wallpaper off the walls and chewed the phone line. Benjie also was a nightmare but I wasnt around then to see that

Good luck
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 11:21 AM
When Mollie was a pup she chewed through a wall when we left her for half an hour, a mattress when we left her in the bedroom for 40 minutes and the replacement mattress when we left her for 20 minutes a couple of weeks later. Ended up ceramic tiling the walls in the hallway and confining her to that area, looking back it's hard to remember this side of her as she is an angel these days !

In principle I favour the remove the object but sometimes that just isn't possible when it's a wall
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I would confine the dogs to one safe room where they can't do any damage, if they are likely to chew things in my absence. Coming into a mess everytime you go out would get a bit wearing after a while and as Isochick said it is self reinforcing so not resolving the problem.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 11:51 AM
basically she doesn't like having to live around the dogs - she'd rather the dogs had to live around her if that makes sense.
Unfortunately for her it doesn't really work like this. We have to live around the dogs to some extent just as they have to live around us. And as someone else said, how can the house look nice if the stuffing from the cushions is all over?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Personally I`ve never seen the point of cushions. I mean - does anyone actually use them? Or do you just chuck them out of the way when you sit down?
Can you not just shut the living room door when you`re out?
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Luckily I don't have a destructive Dane...many danes are, especially as pups. I've known people who've literally had THOUSANDS of dollars in damages within a half hour. What would take a normal breed days to destroy, a dane can ruin in minutes lol.
Luke was taught the "leave it" command at nine weeks old. He was reinforced constantly on what is GOOD to chew on, and what is not. In my opinion, continuing to allow him access to destroy items in your home that do not belong to him, is only teaching him that it's ok.
If you can't supervise him constantly, then put him somewhere where he has no access whatsoever to anything he can destroy of yours. When you're watching him....be sure to praise and treat every time he goes for one of HIS toys. Make sure he has access to chewable things for him no matter where he is in the house.
While I agree that there are times when you live around your dogs, I do NOT agree that it means you have to watch your property be continually destroyed. Dogs need to learn what is theirs, what is not and respect that boundary. Otherwise EVERYTHING in your house is going to be fair game. Hope that makes sense.
Try redirecting him every time you see him going for the cushions. Have a toy and a treat, and the minute you see him give the least bit attention to the cushions...redirect his attention to the toy. When he's focused on and takes the toy instead, HUGE praise and treat. It will take a while, but it should work in the end. Again though, confine him when you aren't able to watch him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >