Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Moulting all year round?

We have a Benjie, a possible GSD, lab, GWP, collie mix - he has wire hair along his spine and on his face and then softer fur down the rest of his body, he isn't long haired as such but he seems to moult all year round.

I brush him (or used to before behavioural problems started) 2 - 3 times a week with an undercoat rake and then a top coat rake/brush thingy.

Is it just the possible breeds in him causing this? I will be giving him a shave in the spring though, I love dogs and dont mind dog hair but he really does moult a lot and I'm acually surprised how much hair gets everywhere

Any reason for the all year round moulting?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Some dogs justbmoult more than others. Our Whites moult all year round. If you are looking for a medical problem causing it, you coukd ask your vet to check the dogs thyroid

Bathing helps with heavy moulters. Use a light oatmeal based shampoo every couple of months. Bathing helps loosen the hair & it comes out during the bathing & thus less on the floor
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 04:56 PM
GSD owners have a saying - a German Shepherd only moults once a year, it just lasts for 365 days
I find Kiki (Rottie coated) sheds constantly too, not sure if it's a double-coated breed trait.
A Furminator/similar used every so often helps, and even just brushing with a soft pin brush helps - presumably massaging the skin to promote healthy fur growth and loosening up the hair. Adding some kind of oil to the diet can help - my two get salmon oil but I know others use stuff like a bit of olive oil. You can buy a mixture of oils specifically for shedding dogs from petshops too, I used it on a previous GSD I had and it really reduced the amount she shed.
I really wouldn't shave him though, dog coats work as insulation and have benefits in summer as well as winter. The fur will trap air and stop the direct sun/heat warming him up too much, a shaved dog is not only prone to sunburn on his skin but to overheating in general as he's not got his natural insulation against the heat.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I think central heating has a lot to answer for in this. Harley seems to moult all year round (though more in the summer)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I was only going to give him a light shave, not go all chinese crested - although

I do bath him every couple of months, I do also give them massages.

We dont know what he has in him, we're just guessing GSD cos of his high pitched woof. But i have noticed he is cooler in the summer even with the long coat so I thought Rough collie because I know their fur traps air and keeps them cool in the summer.

He has weird fur, he has a soft coat, then a wire hari then he has little wisps just sticking out everywhere - he's a strange dog. Thanks for the help
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I was only going to give him a light shave, not go all chinese crested - although
I personally wouldn't but up to you. One thing I have heard of is people shaving just the belly area - that way if the dog lays on a nice cool surface, the dog can lose a bit more heat through its belly, might be a good middleground?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I personally wouldn't but up to you. One thing I have heard of is people shaving just the belly area - that way if the dog lays on a nice cool surface, the dog can lose a bit more heat through its belly, might be a good middleground?
First I'll sort out this behavioural problem, then try and touch his belly lol - he's not one for belly rubs - in fact that sounds like a good idea actually
bow wow wow
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2010, 10:12 PM
climate and central heating