Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Clifford suddenly screaming

Hi, about half an hour ago, indoors, my husband threw Cliffords toy for him, Clifford jumped to get it and suddenly started chasing his tail, screaming a high pitched short staccata cry. I have never heard him make that noise before. He is not limping and he stopped crying quite quickly.

But He is looking very scared and not coming to us.
At first I thought he might have been stung by a wasp or something. However I am finding it hard to examine him without him creeping off.

Whatever it is I think he thinks we did it to him, as he was in such proximity to my husband when whatever it is happened. He looks very sorry for himself and untrusting.
He has eaten his dinner. He is associating the incident with us.
At the moment he is in his basket under my desk and wont come out.
I am assuming this is not a serious injury, but I he could have sprained something.
Has anyone had anything like that happening to their dogs?
thanks
His tail is completely down.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Hard as it might be, try not to fuss as it will only make him worse.

Keep an eye on him when he rises from laying down and when he walks to look for signs of anything amiss.

The more you try to cajoule him, the more he will think something is wrong so try to be a natural as you can. If he carries on avoiding you (after a few hours rather than minutes) try just walking past and dropping a treat without fussing, or tossing one of his favourite toys back and forth between you (occassionally, accidentally - on purpose - letting it drop to the floor as it may encourage him towards you). Try to use something other than the ball and keep the height low so that he doesn't have to jump to get it if he decides to join in.

When he's more relaxed, then you can start to think about a proper examination and if you feel he is in any pain prior to then there really isn't much option but to call in a vet to have a look.

Good luck, let us know how he is as he has time to calm down a little
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh dear, I know what you mean about trying to get to them when something like this has happened, but it's probably not because he's blaming you for the pain, it's more the fact that he doesn't want you to give him that pain again by having a feel or looking around in there, we have the same problem here with our youngster.

Brilliant advice up there from Brierly, and I would wait until he's gone to bed, give him his nightime cuddle and I'm sure he'll be fine. I wouldn't go for the "feel" in that area, I would leave that for the vet if you have to go, coz quite honestly, what will it tell you - nothing! You could end up making him scream in pain again, so if I were you I'd just be keeping a close eye, let him be himself, do what he wants. Watch him like a hawk when he wee's and poo's, and see if you can notice anything out of place with the hind quarters and write it down for the vet.

I'd be very concerned if the tail is kept low and in for more than a very short while, or if he has trouble walking behind, and I'd be ringing the vet for advice or a visit quite honestly, but only you can tell if that's necessary tonight.

My dog leaps and twists high in the air for that ball and it always worries me If he's a very young dog, then everything is quite rubbery and flexible, so he could just have pulled a muscle, but an older dog, it would worry me a lot because of the spine, which goes right to the top of that tail.

I hope he improves in an hour or two, and if not, I think it might be wise to ring the vet, it could or could not be an emergency, you just never know with things like this, and he could be in real pain.

Does he hold that tail in and under when he walks now? That is not good
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:02 PM
thanks guys -he is very quiet and watchful. His tail was right between his legs but he is lying down now so I cant tell and can't encourage him to stand, though he did come out of his basket- but I missed him doing that. He is not licking anything or attending to it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Is it normal that he would be lying down at this time of night in his basket? Is he curled up in a tight ball, or is he laying down as he normally would in there? Is his face all crinkled up above his eyes, that would show he's in pain? Has he been fed yet, and if not, then see if he behaves normally to get up and get his dinner, then you'll know won't you. See if he'll eat a little morsel of cheese, coz if he's gone off food, then he really is in pain and you really need to get something done imo. Good luck and please let us know.xx
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:12 PM
he has just squealed when moving his hip and I am booked into emergency in 45 mins. keep you posted. thanks so much.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Ahh bless, poor mite, they know how to worry us. Keep us posted We're all hopeing that it's nothing serious.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Awww poor boy, he could have put his hip out I suppose, maybe thank goodness you've got an appt tonight, it really is the only thing you can do. Good luck, and I hope it all goes well for the poor little man.
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Poor boy. I hope it's nothing serious. Let us know how you get on.
cliffy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2010, 07:43 PM
well I'm back! Lovely emergency vet said he thought he'd just pulled/strained his hip and gave him painkiller and anti-inflamatory injection. Nothing broken and CLifford was very brave. What a relief. Keep an eye on him over next few days and only gently exercise.
Have to say, have never heard him squeal like that, it gave us all a fright.
thanks all for your swift advice.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >