Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2010, 06:37 PM

This past year (GSD's & friends)

My three, from L to R, Bear, Ella & Locky.

We got Locky from the SSPCA on 29 Dec 2008, he was 9 years old, going on 10. Him this past summer:

I took him to class, and he mixed well with all the dogs/pups there. We did a recall workshop, his recall was terrible! I kept him on lead when out for walks, for off lead excercise we'd go to he trainers field where he'd mix with her dogs.

In the first 6 months or so, and despite Locky always being on lead, we were unlucky to be involved in a nubmber of incidents with other dogs (off lead) culminating in a visit from the dog warden & the police. The trainer couldn't do anything else to help me - he seemed fine around her dogs/ dogs in class, but was reactive on lead to dogs aproaching him. I'd lost confidence in him and was begining to think that I owned a dog that would attack any other dog that got close enough (looking back, that's not how it was, but that's how it felt at the time).

We contacted two behaviourists, one suggested I use a halti, keep him away from other dogs, and "manage" the situation when out. Not what I wanted to hear, I wanted Locky to have a good life. The other suggested we could work through this.

I called him out in July(ish) 2009, followed his excercises for a while and started going to classes in Sept. By December of that year, there were a couple of dogs at the class that we were both comfortable mixing with, and Locky was doing quite well in his new class.

And so into 2010.

In April of this year another couple joined the class with a GSD. I was now confident enough to mix Locky provided that we introduced the dogs properly. And so we arranged to meet up.

Offlead in a safe area, Locky wearing a muzzle as a precaution the first time we met with Ziggy:

They soon settled down, like putty in our hands:

He really had settled down, and was able to relax around other dogs (as was I ):

We met up more often, a couple of other GSD's joined in:

Meanwhile, down at the local loch, he got know more dogs. After being introduced properly, he gets on fine with Shadow and Buddy:

He seems particularly fond of Hati the Newfoundland:

In October I posted how we managed to have him off lead alongside a lab who's owner had pateiently walked with me since I got him hoping that one day they'd be able to mix freely.

We still meet up regularly with Ziggy -they get on like a house on fire. I would say Ziggy's his best pal, but it's not quite true. His best pal is his younger brother Bear -they really get on together and I'm sure Bear helps keep him young.

My two pups, one will be 2 in Jan, the other will be 12 this coming Feb!

That's about it -looking back, it's been quite a good summer for my boy, he even gets to play off lead down at the loch now as well: Ella and Locky paddling.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Thats a lovely story and I'm pleased that your boy is doing so well
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I enjoyed that story, it gives me hope for our Benjie.
I'm glad he's doing well
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Wonderful story - all your dogs are just gorgeous, but Locky, in particular, has stolen my
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
............ but Locky, in particular, has stolen my
He stole mine as well! I only went to visit him to humor my wife, I had no intention whatsoever of taking on a 9 year old dog - but as soon as I saw him, I knew I wouldn't be able to leave him there.

Everyone who meets Locky loves him. Unfortunately, there are a handful of gossip mongers who will tell anyone who will listen that Locky will bite them, their children, and attack their dogs - but Locky is doing his bit to combat this.

I met someone with a young Vizla the other other night. Locky met her dog, she was stroking him and saying how lovely he was. Then she asked:

"Is this your old boy?"

"So you've heard the rumors then?" I answered.

"Yes," she said "but he's lovely isn't he."

I'm glad she was willing to meet him and come to her own conclusion.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Don't worry about rumours, people will see for themselves...well done for sticking by him and doing well by him.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Lovely pics, and great news.
He's very lucky he found you...well done to you and him xxxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
What an inspiring story. I am so pleased you chose Locky and that you have kept you commitment to him through thick and thin. We could do with more owners like you coming to rescue!

I loved the pics I could see, esp the one where Locky is happy mixing with his new pal, Ziggy. I unfortunately couldn't see them all as my dial up connection wouldn't allow it

Your story should hopefully provide a real boost to other owners with dog aggressive dogs. Great you found an experienced and understanding trainer I hope Locky ives you many more pleasurable years and quietens his critics with his ever improving behaviour.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Gorgeous dogs and amazing story or Locky's rehabilitation! BLess you for not giving up on him!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Wonderful story, they are all gorgeous and Locky looks and sounds to have come so far
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >