View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Washing dirty linen in public or talking to cyberfriends?

A Member posted the other day about some problems she was having with a family member, she was upset and wanted to have a bit of a rant. Most of the members who replied to her were sympathetic and offered advice and I'm sure helped her in her dilema. Now whilst it would not have been a dilema for me it clearly was for her, we all have different worries and issues. However, one or two posters responded quite negatively and unkindly I thought, one even mentioned she had been taught not to 'air her dirty linen in public or is it wash?' doesn't matter I suppose.....
it got me thinking.........what do other people think? sometimes you just can't talk to friends or family for loyalty reasons etc. and you need someone who doesn't know either of you to offer an unbiased opinion. Since we semi-retired over here we have experienced different issues and I haven't wanted to discuss my husband with my offspring-it puts them in a terrible position and my friends over here are friends to both of us, again loyalty issues. I confided in a friend in the UK who decided that she would take it upon herself to give little digs when she met up with him which was unforgiveable I thought, she also mentioned it all to her husband who again decided that he wasn't overkeen on hubby anymore! and all this was supposed to be in confidence! It's so much easier to talk to cyber friends about stuff like this - although you don't know either of us given the basic facts and issues you can voice opinions in an unbiased way which in turn gives food for thought and a different perspective maybe. I had a few issues with my hubby's view of my/our dogs - lots of people understood where I was coming from but also people looked at it from his perspective which I thought was very fair. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for advice online amongst people we consider our friends. Do you?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
The thing I don't get, if you don't want to talk to a bunch of "strangers", why join a forum at all? If you're just here for dog advice then stick to the dog advice section. Forums are generally a mix of chitchat, rants, opinions, etc. so if you're so against it, why did you sign up in the first place?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm very happy to get advice of all kinds from my friends on Dogsey
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Friends are friends no matter if they are penfriends, schoolfriends workfriends or forum friend. And on here there are some lovely people.
I`m sad to hear someone was criticised for speaking honestly. Hopefully they know that the majority are not so rude or nasty.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I've made some brilliant 'cyber' friends on this website, and even met some of them in real life!
It's nice to be able to come and post sometimes, as as much as you love your family/friends, it's nice to have another perspective!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I only have friends that I meet and can see.............people on forums are just people on forums.

and airing your dirty linen if you do it expect answers, though you might not like them.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 08:16 PM
The internet has changed the concept of friendship i think.

Ive made some good friends on the net & caught up with old ones. & like to keep in touch with friends all over the country-makes these friendships stronger

I dont put a ton of personal stuff up realy, because thats just me (i dont face to face either) but i am a nosey cow & enjoy abit of dirty laundry & to offer my opinion if i feel like it.

Its important to remeber People are , just that people, with feelings etc & not to hid behind the computor. Im exactly the same on herev as i am in reallife, What you Read is what you get!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Lol at you there Mish, and it's the same here with me, what you see is what you get, unlike a lot of people on forums who for some strange reason pretend to be people they aspire to be, rather than people that they actually ARE in real life (all very strange).

Anyhoo, I like to air my dirty laundry on here sometimes, I always respect the advice I get, I sift through it and it helps me deal with my problems, coz my o/h doesn't talk much, his usual line would be "don't ask me", and my friends lead busy lives, they don't go on the internet (only one of them) so I don't like to burden them with my problems, although of course, they're always there for me in times of need, but I find the friends on here might actually know me better than my real life ones! How strange is that!!!

I have nothing to hide, I don't care who knows about me or whatever's going on with me, I don't mind flack either, it goes over my head, but I really do appreciate the tremendous support I've had online over the years, especially on Dogsey, these are my closest friends ever and always will be.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I feel sad for people who have no friends or family in 'real' life that they can talk to about stuff.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I feel sad for people who have no friends or family in 'real' life that they can talk to about stuff.
Maybe stop feeling sad for them & be friendly may make them feel better
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »