Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Slight dog aggression - need some help

Hey guys,

I have a very weird/lucrative or whatever you want to call it favour to ask.

I was wondering if any of you dog lovers would help me get Benjie under control with his slight dog aggression.
He is ok, I dont think he'd ever attack another dog, I reckon he just doesnt know how to act around dogs.
He was a stray and picked up by the RSPCA at 9 months, my OH's family are far too nervous around him when there are other people/dogs/roads about I've tried to tell them not to be but they dont listen. However he will be living with me and my OH. My OH may be joining the Marines/Army so I need to know I can handle him with another dog around. I can handle him on his own but I will have Louie with me and even when Benjie isnt there - Louie has picked up on his behaviour and will lunge but just to play - he hasnt shown any signs off aggression as of yet and he wont if I can get Benjie sorted. Also Benjie can easily over power me with and without training aids such as halti's. I've tried clicker training with him and it is useless as he wont focus at all and goes into like a blackout mode when he sees another dog on the streets. When they got him they had a trainer out, he took him for an hour walk then said he'd be fine with other dogs and people but incidents since have caused us to lose trust in him.

So What I'm really asking is if anyone in the Nottingham/Mansfield area who has a non reactive dog would like to meet up and help me with Benjie. I say non reactive because I need a helpful dog that wont cower if Benjie starts up with his barking and growling or will go all the way when he does this.
Male / Female will be ok, he is neutered.
Also it will give Louie a chance to play with a few other dogs he hasnt met before.

I will have Benjie muzzled until he is deemed calm enough for it to be removed.

Any help would be greatly appriecated

Aimee
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Just to say - can you teach a Watch Me command - hold a treat by your face, when the dog looks say watch me & give the treat. You need to train this pretty intensively before using it when out. The dog needs to do it automatically.
That will get your dog back in focus.
Another good move with a reactive dog is to teach a behind sit. The dog sits behind the line of your leg so you are between him and any threat.
Both these are useful to keep control.
I hope you find someone to walk with.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Just to say - can you teach a Watch Me command - hold a treat by your face, when the dog looks say watch me & give the treat. You need to train this pretty intensively before using it when out. The dog needs to do it automatically.
That will get your dog back in focus.
Another good move with a reactive dog is to teach a behind sit. The dog sits behind the line of your leg so you are between him and any threat.
Both these are useful to keep control.
I hope you find someone to walk with.
CAD if only it was that easy. I've taught it him before we introduced the clicker and he knows it when there is no other dog around, but as soon as he sees one he sees red. He barks and lunges - I'll try and video it next time and show you, although he has calmed down a lot since I've pestered my OH into getting him to sit at roads and keep him by his side, but he still goes into this frantic mode.

I've tried the leg thing and he'll sit there and bark at me, the other dog, wait for me to calm down a little (it's scary) and then when I'm leats expecting it he just bolts - so I just dont know what to do so my other plan was to muzzle him and put him in a field of non reactive dogs and see what happens basically. He can make doggy friends, but only if they're bitches and even then it takes about a month of the muzzle on him. I know he's not fear reactive though because he will instigate it..I'm so glad Sadie is non reactive because if her and Louie are playing a game of chase, he'll join in and try and drag her to the ground by her scruff and she;s smaller than him so it's scary to witness. Of course around her we dont have his muzzle on.

I dont think he'd do any damage just he doesnt know how to act with other dogs so just barks growls and lunges.

Thanks for the support CAD
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2010, 05:22 PM
hi i have one dog exactly the same but my other dog is very good around other dogs i live in leicester and would be willing to meet half way if this is any good to you message me if you wish
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 05:28 PM
To be honest, you would be best to find a good, qualified behaviourist to help you. It is all good and well finding owners with bomb proof dogs, but until you are 'shown' a method that will work with your particular dog, I feel it would be a bit of a waste of time.

Ideally you need the trainer to go out with you with your dog and assess his behaviour. The trainer should be able to tell you 'why' he's doing it and give you a programme to work with him long term. They should also be able to show you practically with your dog too, not just write down a programme.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
hi i have one dog exactly the same but my other dog is very good around other dogs i live in leicester and would be willing to meet half way if this is any good to you message me if you wish
I'll have to talk to the OH because things are a little hectic right now, with us moving, but after we're settled I may have to take you up on the offer.

Originally Posted by Indie85 View Post
To be honest, you would be best to find a good, qualified behaviourist to help you. It is all good and well finding owners with bomb proof dogs, but until you are 'shown' a method that will work with your particular dog, I feel it would be a bit of a waste of time.

Ideally you need the trainer to go out with you with your dog and assess his behaviour. The trainer should be able to tell you 'why' he's doing it and give you a programme to work with him long term. They should also be able to show you practically with your dog too, not just write down a programme.
I know the techniques, I've studied techniques of animal behaviourists since I was little, it's what I've always wanted to be (but my parents thought I'd be better off going to 6th form than studying animals in college - that worked didnt it - whole other topic though) So I know what to do, in a lot of situations and I know I paint him as a horrible dog but he has come on a lot and I just want him to stop barking at other dogs really - he earned some trust today, we've just got back from our walk and he greeted a 12 week old shih tzu with a lot of noise but after I let him sniff her bum (not a nice thing to see - a girl holding a dogs bum to another dogs face - only way I could do it) he was a little less noiser. I guess it's just what situation he is in really. I'll keep working with him, and if that doesnt work and meeting dogsey folk and their dogs doesnt work, then Dog Borstal it is - if I'm going to pay for good training, expenisve training I might as well be on tv too lol. Or maybe just a regular trainer will have to do Thanks for all the support