Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:17 PM

Advice Please

I need some advice please, I've had my daughter come home really upset tonight from school, she was off on Friday as we've had Tummy bugs here, she was throwing up all night/early hours thursday so I kept her off Friday as the school recommend with Tummy bugs.

Anyway, in her literacy class this afternoon her book wasn't straight on the desk so the teacher walked up behind her, put the book straight, then tightly grabbed hold of her arm and slammed her hand hard on top of it . And saying to her afterwards ''keep you're hands/arm on the desk, and I don't want to see you're book on the slant again''..

Now I called the head when we got back as she's obviously been really upset about it all afternoon, the teacher also mentioned her unexplained absence on Friday, as I didn't ring them (all my children we're being sick everywhere, including me) and I also forgot to send her in with a note, so explained all that to the head over the phone tonight and apparently he's not very happy at all regarding this complaint I've made and wishes me to take my daughter in five minutes early in the morning so she can tell him what happened. I've then got to pick her up and speak to him again regarding his investigation into what has happened when she finishes at 3.10pm.

Now, am I being over sensitive - Or should I look into taking this further if I feel the result from tomorrow afternoons investigation into this isn't satisfactory ?

My arguement being with the head on the phone, even I don't put my hands on my children, so what gives anyone else the god given right to do it ? If she genuinely had a problem with my daughter regarding the way she conducts herself in class, shouldn't this issue have been raised with me ?

My daughter is genuinely a quiet girl at home and keeps herself to herself at school and her head down, this reflects in her school reports - teachers reporting she keeps her head down in class and gets on with her work, being in all the top sets for lessons.

I have requested over the phone tonight that she be removed from that literacy class, whether she will remains to be seen.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:36 PM
How old is she?

Could you not of founf two minutes to ring the school? [which is what they are chessed off about i expect]

Do you know the teacher?

Has anything like this happened before?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:41 PM
She's 10.

How could I ring the school regarding what happened as she only told me of the incident when we got back home, I then called the school straightaway and requested to speak to the head.

I will know the teacher come tomorrow, as it's Parents Evening! She'll wish she never laid eyes on me.

Nothing like this has happened before, but I've been told tonight through sobs, that this teacher seems to like shaking/grabbing hold of children
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry i meant to ring them while she was sick.

If she is 10 I am sure she has got the story right and I would go in all guns blazing............but be cool at first and get what the teacher considers as facts ..........
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 04:51 PM
With hindsight I should have done, but my head was all over the place I'd got the eldest being sick, two toddlers and a baby along with myself throwing up.

But I can't see how me forgetting ring them, should have anything to do with the way this teacher decided to take actions into her own hands.

I'm sorry, but no-one puts their hands on my kids in such a way, when I don't do it myself.

One thing about my daughter is, that I trust her, she's not a typical 10 year old, she's quite grown up for her age, but really sensitive, I feel if this teacher had a problem, she could have handled it differently - But come on, all this over a book on the slant ?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:04 PM
It does sound harsh and I am on your side.

Find out what the teacher thinks are the facts and take it from there........if you dont get the answers you want, laying your hands on someone is technically assault.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:11 PM
That's what I want to know really, as I would think it would all bare down to ''Common Assault'' - I know teachers are not allowed to put their hands on children, quite a few times when she's fell over, or bumped her head in school, they've not even been allowed to apply a sticking plaster or cold compression on her head.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd ask for the teacher to be sacked, and maybe ask the other mums of the kids if they've had their son/daughter come home upset because of this teacher. That is just stupidly wrong. Maybe if the head doesnt do anything, phone the police or ofstead or whatever that school has in charge because that is assault if they aren't allowed to put a cold compress on a childs head then they certainly arent allowed to do that. And what a silly thing to be about, a slanting book. Maybe you should just overlook the head and have words with the teacher. Calmly I mean - I dont mean guns blazing etc (not that I would think you would do that). There's been a lot of talk about teachers lately, on another forum I'm on, the teacher says she cant teach this one child because she's not "deaf" enough for her to teach (it's a deaf school) stupid. And it seems like it's more primary schools than secondary schools.

I thought schools were safe places for children to learn? What's happened.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes it is assault..............no doubt about and where you wish to take it is up to you.

Getting other parents on side would help.

If the are any teachers on here maybe they could advise.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:51 PM
She does actually have finger marks around her arm where she was grabbed hold of, she's also said this isn't the first time this teacher has put her hands on a pupil in the same class. First incident being this teacher grabbing hold of another pupil just a week or so ago by the shoulders and giving them a good shake because they hadn't handed their book back into the school library

I know they are not babies (but she is MY baby) but blimey since when did children of that age need to be grabbed hold of in such a manner - I will also be speaking to that pupils mum as they are in the same class as my daughter.

I simply will not let this go I've never been so angry in all my life as I was earlier this evening. I can do calm
I just have a feeling she's not going to like me too much when she meets me at the parents evening tomorrow, as she will get told in no uncertain terms not to do it again.

I may just decide to go straight above the head depending on how I feel he's handled it all in the morning, I may end up going straight to the LEA, along with putting a complaint in with the local police, because had this been vice versa, I'd have never heard the end of it and probably had social services knocking my door!!

I too thought schools were supposed to be a safe place for children, don't seem like it does it, we're leaving them open to alsorts there
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >