Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:22 AM

Fireworks ect.

Hi my Chi is pretty highly strung he was fine with fireworks ect last year but as more are starting to be let off he's barking away and getting stressed. I don't know if I should go for the dap collar or herbal suppliments, I looked at the dap defuser but he goes from one room to another so not too good, he's not used to wearing a collar but if it helped I'd get one the herbal suppliments not sure on these and I don't want to dope him up with a sedative from the vets, So I'm at a bit of a loss here.
Also we go away for 5 weeks soon, he's staying with my dad who he knows and easily settles at his house but he's never stayed there overnight as my dad works though he won't be working while he's pet sitting. I was also wondering if a collar would be good to help him relax while we're not around.
Any info would be great thanx.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
Hi my Chi is pretty highly strung he was fine with fireworks ect last year but as more are starting to be let off he's barking away and getting stressed. I don't know if I should go for the dap collar or herbal suppliments, I looked at the dap defuser but he goes from one room to another so not too good, he's not used to wearing a collar but if it helped I'd get one the herbal suppliments not sure on these and I don't want to dope him up with a sedative from the vets, So I'm at a bit of a loss here.
Also we go away for 5 weeks soon, he's staying with my dad who he knows and easily settles at his house but he's never stayed there overnight as my dad works though he won't be working while he's pet sitting. I was also wondering if a collar would be good to help him relax while we're not around.
Any info would be great thanx.
Hi Miz as well as the diffuser and collar you can by a DAP spray ,you could spray a little on/near your dog's bed.

Alternativly get your little dog used to settling in one room and use a diffuser.

I would advise you Dad to prepare by feeding your little dog and taking him out early for a good walk before the fireworks begin, then giving him something nice to chew/drawing the curtains/turning the radio-TV up to mask the sound/settling down and ignoring the sounds outside and behaving as 'normal' as possible.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for that luckily my dad's not having him til January next year, so fireworks should have finnished by then thank god. Just a bit worried leaving him though as my oh pointed out he's better with my dad than in a kennels. My dad has looked after my other dogs which have passed away now so I don't know why I'm getting in such a silly state.
Back to fireworks I was looking at the herbal food suppliments to see if he'd chill with those as apose to the dap anyone had any of these that work???
decca234uk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I sympathise with you. i had a dog who was terrified of fireworks. I hate bonfire night and the two weeks before and after. I tried everything but nothing worked. I just used to lock him in the the most insulated room in the house and play music loud. I'd then just sit down with him, bury his head on my lap and cover his other ear with a cushion. That seemed to do the trick. Didn't do my back much good though.