Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Orijens Dog Food

Apparently it's biologically appropriate, anyone used it?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Used too .. but it caused a hell of a lot of wind and upset bellies ..has a high protein level ...
Highly recommended else where though ...
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I used it for a few months and Stone loved it and did really well on it. He just got settled on it when Orijen hiked up the price by £8 a bag ...on an already expensive food that was too much for me (and I was peed off about it so it was a principle thing)....
I felt really sorry for my local pet shop as they had been really marketing it and were so embarressed.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
I used it for a few months and Stone loved it and did really well on it. He just got settled on it when Orijen hiked up the price by £8 a bag ...on an already expensive food that was too much for me (and I was peed off about it so it was a principle thing)....
I felt really sorry for my local pet shop as they had been really marketing it and were so embarressed.
I know I seen the regional red sell for 80 quid for a 13.5 kg bag
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Sorry I have not actually fed it but I looked at Orijen and at over £60 plus delivery for 13.5 kilos to feed a food that still has 30% fillers, I decided to feed raw (preferance anyway) Biologically appropriate is raw and Orijen is cooked so not all that appropriate.....I think its better than most other foods though (going by the ingredients list and sourcing etc) but still. To feed an even more biologically appropriate food is only about £30 a month to fill the freezer, £45 TOPS, so why pay over double for less..?

I just think thats priced far too high, what part of sweet potato and hay is biologically appropriate? I have nothing against people feeding dog food and not raw but cant justify paying that amount of money for a dog food when I can feed a 'fresh' diet for less, personally.
If you had 5 large dogs and wanted to feed them all this food (assuming 13.5kg would last a month per dog) thats £300!! (possibly delivery on top of that) Thats a lot of money to pay for fish and potatoes

Each to their own and what suits your dog is worth paying for but personally I wouldnt spend that on a food that is still cooked and still has fruit, veg and hay in it to bulk it out, which I don't think they really need. Just my opinion. As I said, each to their own and a food/feeding method has to suit both the owner and the dog but I didn't buy it due to the reasons given.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
One of our dogs that suffers with Atopy was on it for about 9 months.At the time he had been fed raw for about 7 years and Orijen was on offer at Zooplus so i thought i would try it as i had heard good reports.In all honesty i can say i saw no difference in him from when he was fed raw.Energy levels,toilet and general well being did not change.
As others have said the price then increased so i decided to go back to raw.With the Orijen you don't have to feed that much but it still works out a lot more than feeding raw.
I think its the same as any dog food in what suits one dog may not suit another.....Cheers..Ian.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I feed my dogs raw, but this food would be easier for when I take them away in the caravan as I don't have space to store food for 3 large dogs in the caravan.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Both of mine are on it, breeder had them on RC which Chester had for about a year but when I found out what was actually in it protein wise I found out which had a higher meat content and switched to that, it just happened to be orijen. Get it online and though it's slightly more costly than the RC or similar the amount given per meal is considerably less so the cost difference is neglegible. Also getting any type of dog food into Chester is a nightmare so the less needed the better. Would love to feed raw but being vege I just can't bring myself to do it, have only recently worked up to giving meat as rewards, maybe one day but not yet !
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I've just used Orijen whilst I was away with my lot. It is very expensive and I certainly would never consider feeding it full time but they've done ok on it. Even with such high quality ingredients, their poos were still far larger than on raw (but far smaller than on other kibble!)