Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Speechless.

All I can say really, I was in town yesterday, and I saw a dalmation, I was talking to the owner (ignorning the choker chain on its neck ) when as we finished talking they just yanked the dog away without a word, just turned around and pulled, the poor dog, at this point I just goes 'what on earth was that for' their reply, the dog was deaf, so this way the could get its attention and get it moving quicker, I've never felt so sad, it would be bad enough on a dog that can hear, but a dog that has no sound in the world, looking at something minding its own business and then to suddenly be pulled almost of its feet because its owners want to move, I find sickening. At this I asked them if they had ever heard of a vibrating collar, it would be much nicer on the dog then to be pulled around like that, they said that they did once try a e-collar on the dog, but they said that it didn't really work, I tried to explain that is not what I was on about before, and that they could try looking up training for deaf dogs, as that is unfair on the dog right now, but they walk away.

I'm just complety speechless at all of this, how on earth could someone do this to a dog? The thing is I would class this as cruetly, but as the dog is well fed, and everything I doubt anything would be done to help this dog.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 10:50 AM
That is so sad . Poor dog, what a life ~ ecollar then yanked about by the neck ~ and all because the poor thing is deaf.

I don't know what you can do ~ the RSPCA won't help, nor any other animal welfare association. Only if you see the owners again, or you know where they live, could you do anything. Maybe get them some literature on training deaf dogs, refer them to a good & positive trainer who has experience with deaf dogs? Offer to help yourself?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I only saw them in town, so have no idea where they live, they could live somewhere in the town, or somewhere complety different, as close to town centre there is a nice river walk and a walk through the castle meadows that are good for dogs so people bring their dogs for walks there, it would be nice to know where they live, or if I'm going to see them again though, just to try and help the dog, as what I saw I really did find shocking
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I think Chaz, that maybe they are just misguided, in how to deal with a deaf dog!!

After all they have taken it on, many a person would send it to rescue.

So maybe instead of judging them, if you see them again arm yourself with some material to point them in the right direction of someone more experienced in deaf dog.

They obviously must love their dog, just dont have the right approach to "communicating" with it
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think Chaz, that maybe they are just misguided, in how to deal with a deaf dog!!

After all they have taken it on, many a person would send it to rescue.

So maybe instead of judging them, if you see them again arm yourself with some material to point them in the right direction of someone more experienced in deaf dog.

They obviously must love their dog, just dont have the right approach to "communicating" with it
Chaz was trying to point them in the right direction but the owner walked away Not everyone who owns a dog has enough love to treat it the way an animal should be otherwise the RSPCA would be out of a job.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Chaz was trying to point them in the right direction but the owner walked away Not everyone who owns a dog has enough love to treat it the way an animal should be otherwise the RSPCA would be out of a job.
Chaz told them to try a vibrating collar, thats not pointing them in the right direction.

To assume they are cruel to the dog because t " they pulled the dog " and used a choke chain , is a bit of an exaggeration

My point was, they must love the dog , but are or have been misguided in how to deal with a deaf dog , does not make them cruel!!

There are not that many homes out their for dogs with disabilities, and for them to have "kept" their dog, must be a plus in their favour, albeit with the wrong approach.

Maybe they just need to be helped to see the right way to communicate with their dog.

I am the first to stand up and say something, if I see what I consider a wrong done , but in this situation I think a little bit of understanding and support should be given instead of

I'm just complety speechless at all of this, how on earth could someone do this to a dog? The thing is I would class this as cruetly, but as the dog is well fed, and everything I doubt anything would be done to help this dog.
Its gone from the dog was pulled on the lead, to involving the RSPCA for cruelty
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Chaz told them to try a vibrating collar, thats not pointing them in the right direction
That wasn't the bit I was referring to

I tried to explain that is not what I was on about before, and that they could try looking up training for deaf dogs, as that is unfair on the dog right now, but they walk away.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
That wasn't the bit I was referring to
Telling someone they are "unfair to their dog" is not going to get them to stay around and listen to you!

Don't get me wrong I understand Chaz beign upset by the dog beign "pulled around" to walk the other way,

But sometimes a bigger picture is there, and although I agree these owners are misguided in their approach, and they ignored Chaz`s help, but then maybe the felt they were beign preached to I dont know??

I dont agree they were cruel owners, as Chaz said, they simply need a better approach.

Maybe Chaz did some good, and they went home and thought about what she suggested....hopefully
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 01:27 PM
So sad! So many people believe that you have to be harsh when training a deaf dog... but it is in fact the opposite (as it is with hearing dogs too!) you get way better response with treats and a quick touch. I have 2 deaf dogs, and when I want their attention, I will either give them a quick touch on the head, then the sign for what I want.... or they'll get a couple of quick tugs on the collar with the leash, but it's just hard enough for them to feel a slight pressure, like a tap, then I give the sign for what i want... easy, kind and effective. But alot of people dont think so

I use a chocker on Mouse tho... but dont be alarmed, I dont clip the leash to the rings, just to the chain, as a chain choke collar is the only thing that I've found so far that does not rub the fur off her neck. any cloth collar gives her bald patches on her throat.

I will also not use a vibrating collar, as I find them more trouble than they're worth, as do many deaf dog owners... I just use touch, as mine are never farther away from me than that LOL
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
So sad! So many people believe that you have to be harsh when training a deaf dog... but it is in fact the opposite (as it is with hearing dogs too!) you get way better response with treats and a quick touch. I have 2 deaf dogs, and when I want their attention, I will either give them a quick touch on the head, then the sign for what I want.... or they'll get a couple of quick tugs on the collar with the leash, but it's just hard enough for them to feel a slight pressure, like a tap, then I give the sign for what i want... easy, kind and effective. But alot of people dont think so

I use a chocker on Mouse tho... but dont be alarmed, I dont clip the leash to the rings, just to the chain, as a chain choke collar is the only thing that I've found so far that does not rub the fur off her neck. any cloth collar gives her bald patches on her throat.

I will also not use a vibrating collar, as I find them more trouble than they're worth, as do many deaf dog owners... I just use touch, as mine are never farther away from me than that LOL
That was my point, because they have the wrong idea on how to deal with a deaf dog , it does nto make the cruel!!

The fact they dog is in a home and not in rescue is a plus point in their favour for me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >