View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:22 PM

First doggy trip, any tips or things I should know?

I'm going to Wales next week with my mum to visit family & do some work experience & we're taking Molly with us. We're going by train & then we're staying in a dog-friendly hotel. There are lots of lovely walks around & my cousin has 2 dogs (a rottie & a mastif) so hopefully Molly will be able to make some friends!

So far Molly's little bag contains:
- Enough food weighed out for the week plus a day's extra just in case.
- Food bowl, water bowl & water bottle for when we go for walks.
- Travel pod
- Crate with bedding
- 2 packs of doggy bags, 1 bag of treats
- Enough money to cover an adult's train fare just in case she's asked to get a ticket!
- Toys!
- Harness, collar, long lead & short lead

Is there anything else I should take? Is there anything important I need to know? Any tips for traveling with a dog? I'm excited but a little nervous
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Does she travel ok? May need some calming help with the journey?
Other than that unsure but taking Flynn to Wales in Sept so will be watching thread!
Hope you have a fantastic time xxx
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
Does she travel ok? May need some calming help with the journey?
Other than that unsure but taking Flynn to Wales in Sept so will be watching thread!
Hope you have a fantastic time xxx
Yeah, she's not too bad when it comes to traveling I've been building up to the train by going on the bus a lot & we've taken a few trips to the train station too to get used to the smells & sounds!

And thanks I hope you have fun when September rolls around!
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Towels in case you need to dry her paws & grooming kit.
Have fun
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
Towels in case you need to dry her paws & grooming kit.
Have fun
Ooh hadn't thought of those, thanks! The towels will definitely be needed as there is a beach nearby
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:53 PM
When I go away with the dog I always take a mini first aid kit along with me. Just a little plastic tub with some hibiscrub, cotton balls, a dressing pad, a bandage, sudocrem, piriton and the trusty tick tweezers, just in case!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
When I go away with the dog I always take a mini first aid kit along with me. Just a little plastic tub with some hibiscrub, cotton balls, a dressing pad, a bandage, sudocrem, piriton and the trusty tick tweezers, just in case!
Hadn't thought of that either but a great idea! I'll pick up some sudocrem, dressing pad, bandages & cotton balls when we're out tomorrow. Might see if my vets have any hibiscrub in too. Thanks!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I love travelling by train with my dog... we do several 200-mile round trips every year as well as a lot of shorter journeys by bus as well as train.

Rarely if ever had a serious problem!

Got a big trip ahead of us on Monday - got to move to my mum's for a few weeks, only taking what I can carry - and also cat in her basket as well.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
if you can't get hibiscrub then take some little packets of salt as saltwater is the next best thing!

My mini kit is no good for big emergencies, but great if Kiba gets a scratch, graze or is stung by anything!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I love travelling by train with my dog... we do several 200-mile round trips every year as well as a lot of shorter journeys by bus as well as train.

Rarely if ever had a serious problem!

Got a big trip ahead of us on Monday - got to move to my mum's for a few weeks, only taking what I can carry - and also cat in her basket as well.
Glad to hear you rarely have any problems! I'm really hoping Molly will like the train as we're off to uni next year so will be getting it a lot!

Good luck with your trip on Monday, hope it goes smoothly for you & the dog & cat

Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
if you can't get hibiscrub then take some little packets of salt as saltwater is the next best thing!

My mini kit is no good for big emergencies, but great if Kiba gets a scratch, graze or is stung by anything!
Ooh well I'm sorted on the sea salt front as I use it for cleaning my piercings so usually take a little pack with me when I travel anyway

Yeah, I suppose in an emergency it wouldn't be of too much use but I'm hoping we'll be able to use my cousin's vets if anything goes really wrong! Molly's forever chasing bees anyway so having something in case she gets stung is probably a good idea anyway!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >